Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Leaving bub with DH

spockey is offline Registered User

Leaving bub with DH

My hubby is going back to work. He has been a househusband for the last six months. We will be getting a new DH to look after our bub who is 11 months old.

(1) What should I be telling the new DH to ensure that our little man is well taken care of aside from keeping to his routine?

(2) How do I prepare him for this change? He's always had mum or dad around with a stranger.

Any advice appreciated.

carang is offline Registered User
    i'd say, try to have some overlapping time, when dad and helper are together. then helper can take your little one out to the park without daddy or to the supermarket so that your little one's trust of the helper will build up.

as for what to ask of your helper...
    i'd say that one of the most important things is that you are ALL on the same wavelength when it comes to acceptable behaviour and how to correct unacceptable behaviour.

you need to make sure that your helper has a couple of weeks with daddy at home to watch how he does things. also for daddy to watch helper and give her guidance as to how you, as a family, want things done.

you also need to make sure that your helper knows what the priorities are in the house. make a list of what you want done, when and how often.

good luck!

Millerwhisk is offline Registered User
    I agree with carang. We give our helper a list of what we expect done when and on what days ie change bedding on thursdays. We also stipulate that top priority is always our son so if she is looking after him then housework is to be left.

An overlap time so that she can see how you do things is a great idea. We also wrote down everything in like a handbook of what we expect and how to correct unacceptable behaviour (ie naughty step).

carang is offline Registered User
    and remember that she is only one person. so if you don't think that you could take care of your child AND do the shopping AND do the cleaning to your specifications AND do the cooking AND take your child to the various activities AND do the laundry AND take care of the pets AND clean the car AND...... (i'm sure you get my meaning) then it will be virtually impossible for her to do the same.

so you really need to decide what is most important to you and pass that on to her. you also need to let her know that she won't be fired because the sheets aren't changed everyday. or they aren't ironed. or that she won't lose her job because of one failed recipe.

spockey is offline Registered User
    Thanks ladies! Much appreciated.