Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Strange gasps before pooing, constipated?

beetoy is offline Registered User

Strange gasps before pooing, constipated?

My daughter will reach 2 months old next week and she normally poos once a day. Recently she has been reducing her amount of formula intake (4 ounces x 5 per day, previously 6) and I have noticed the frequency of her bowel movements reduced to once every 2 days. This does not worry me, rather, the strange high-pitched gasping sounds she makes every time (which lasts for 3-5 min) she is about to pass her stool. The sound was quite terrifing for the first time. Anyone having the this experience?

I also wonder if she is suffering from constipation. Her stool is soft and looks humid although passed out in a "stick" form (guess this is normal for a 100% formula baby?). I am not sure if she cries prior to passing out the stool due to difficulty in doing same since it could also be for some other things - have not been observant enough.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Whilst our baby didn't make noises for that amount of time before doing his business or quite that loud it was always clear when it was happening and yes, sometimes it sounded like it was causing a bit of discomfort to say the least. Thankfully that passed and I have no idea if he was actually in pain or just wondering what was going on down there. You might want to take your baby to a doctor however if you continue to worry about it although I seem to remember we had lots of runny poos for a long time and there was never anything the matter. The fact that she makes noises for 5 minutes beforehand suggests that she might be constipated. Maybe she needs a little tummy rub or maybe you could try switching formulas. i've heard this can sometimes be the cause of tummy problems.

beetoy is offline Registered User
    thanks aussiegal. that sound of hers has become "funny" now rather than "terrifying". but i will definitely ask the nurses and docs in my next visit to the "Health centre" - this is another fantastic system in HK for newborns where vaccines are taken free of charge and lots of nurses stand by to tackle all strange and perhaps stupid questions from first time moms like myself...