Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Steam Vacuum Cleaners

Query is offline Registered User

Steam Vacuum Cleaners

I am expecting my first child in a couple of months and have heard from some friends that I should get one of those very expensive steam vacuum cleaners to minimise the dust particles in the house and particularly if the child is allergic to dust (which I don't know yet). Can anyone advise whether it's a worthwhile investment (i have heard that these heavy duty steam vacuum cleaners cost around +$10K) or would a normal (non-steam) vacuum cleaner do? Many thanks in advance for any advice or comments you can give!

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    Don't really know if it's really worth it to spend that much money... If space is not an issue, I'd suggest you get a vacuum cleaner that has the "seal of approval" from the allergy association (or something) and then get a separate steam cleaner.

As we already have a vacuum cleaner, we just bought a Karcher steam cleaner from UNY (under $3,000). Quite happy with it, as it's very versatile --can be used to steam clothes, clean/steam upholstery and plush toys, clean the stubborn grease off kitchen appliances, etc.

See

http://www.karcher-usa.com/showprodu...aram2=&param3=

The only thing is that it comes in this ugly bright yellow color, but otherwise, we're happy with the purchase.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    I would suggest you wait to find out if your child is allergic to dust mites first.

I’m a big believer in buying things when you need them. Then if you never need them you save money because you don’t buy it. And if you buy something when you need it you feel the money spent is worthwhile, no matter how much, because you needed it.

As most things are guaranteed if you buy it when you need it the guarantee lasts while you are using it. Hong Kong shops are almost always open so buying it when you need it is quite easy – even if you can’t manage to leave the baby, or take him with you, to buy it you can ask someone else to go and buy it for you.

Best wishes,
    Barb

rani is offline Administrator
    I agree with Barb, best to see if your LO has allergies. We thought our guy did, and I called the vacuum company for a quote. They wouldn't give me the price over the phone and insisted on coming over to give us a demo. It was amazing, how much dust was still in the sofa/carpet (helper had vacummed that morning). And then came the price......$25K....YIKES! Told the salesmen we'd think about it and the next day, my helper figured if we're willing to spend $25K on a vaccum she better ask us for a $25K loan. Long story short, we didn't get it.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

cha-cha is offline Registered User
    we have the osim iecologi which functions as a vacuum cleaner with or without steam function (dust & muck is held in the water - you should see how dirty it is after vacuuming), also air cleaner. cost was about $6.5k but worth every penny as we have pets.

a bit heavy for everyday vacuuming, but mattresses, floors, sofas, stroller etc gets a good steam clean every week.

snagito is offline Registered User
    Hi there! Interested in this thread as looking for a vacuum cleaner to buy here in HK that is good for dust and wooden floors - any recommendations? Something light and not too pricey would be great -there are so many confusing options out there so very grateful for any input. Thanks!!