Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Zucchini

bbvv is offline Registered User

Zucchini

I have never eaten zucchini in my life and brought some, peeled the skin, steamed and pureed it. I tried it and it tasted bitter - are zucchini suppose to taste bitter?

Don't want to give it to baby if it's not supposed to be bitter. Please advise. I have frozen it at the moment.

Matty is offline Registered User
    It's not the sweetest veg in the world, but should still be sweeter than broccoli or cauiliflower.
    You never know what your baby will like, so you might as well try it!

jools is offline Registered User
    You might want to try mixing it with another veggie, like sweet potato. Also I wouldn't both peeling it next time, just steam it and blend it, the skin becomes quite soft and purees really well.
    If you want to try it as an adult, it's great fried in some butter so that the outside goes a little brown; just a thought.

AndreaY is offline Registered User
    it's not meant to be bitter, perhaps the ones you got were too old? Anyway, dunno how old your baby is, but people sometimes salt it a little when raw and cut to get rid of some of the excess water. Then can just rinse off the salt and steam it. You definitely not supposed to peel it. If you find it too bitter, perhaps you should try "tsui yuk gwa", local sweeter type from the same family.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    I very rarely buy the dark green zucchini or courgettes these days. They are quite expensive. The Chinese pale green jade melons are sweeter and cheaper.

bbvv is offline Registered User
    I brought them the day it was packed (26/02/2007) so it shouldn't be old and to be used my 01/03/2007. Could it be that it's not riped???

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User
    it does have a tiny bit of bitterness especially when it's eaten cold.

shalom is offline Registered User
    i peeled the skin too and fried it with carrot and leeks until soft. my son loves it!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast