Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Circumcision for your baby boy??

Mother Goose is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Well, of course, it's always the parents' call whether to do it or not, given that your son has no previous infections or pain experienced. After all, it's just the FORESKIN that's being removed, NOT the entire penis.

Matty is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    30 years ago in Australia it was very uncommon for boys NOT to be circumcised. My mum decided not to circumcise my brother and was criticised for it.
    My brother has never had any infections or problems.

Another friend of mine has joined a ( strange) movement of men that are actually trying to regrow their foreskin with the use of small weights attatched to the penis.
    He feels violated that no-one asked him whether he wanted it removed as a baby.

When our son was born, i did not want it done but my husband (who is circumcised) was unsure.
    I told him he had to find some mates that weren't, talk to them about it, and then come back with a reason why we should do it.

Believe it or not he did ( I sat in on one of those VERY interesting conversations over a few beers at Stauntons!) and the general agreement seems to be that those that aren't circumcised are perfectly happy that way and have never had any problems.

One of the guys claims that if you do remove the foreskin, some of the nerve endings are damaged over time without any protection, and therefore uncircumcised men have a heightened sense of pleasure.

Just because a boy can't tell you how painful and confusing it was as a baby, doesn't mean that it wasn't just as bad or worse than if they need to have it done when they are older for medical reasons.

Just something to think about.

rani is offline Administrator
    Pokfulam, Hong Kong
    Our paediatrician showed us how to pull back and rinse the foreskin as early as 3 months if I recall correctly - which seemed to be contrary to internet advice.

Just wondering Mothergoose if you did this too.
    Last edited by rani; 03-09-2007 at 12:23 PM.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Jerry299 is offline Registered User
    I would believe the need to circumcise is very unnecessary.
    As someone had said before, it is different for many males in Hong Kong, though I'd take a belief that a majority are possibly uncircumcised. The idea is absurd and an equal amount of hygiene can be obtained whether the male is circumcised or not.
    Unless the reason is religious, problems with the glands or because the father himself is circumcised, this practise often seen in the United States and South Korea should be avoided if possible.

Mother Goose is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Hi Rani,

After recurrent infections and a few trips to the hospital, our paediatrician advised us to have our second son circumcised as soon as possible. The thing is, (I don't know how to say it technically) both our paediatrician and paediatric surgeon had examined him and determined that his foreskin was too tightly attached to his penis. We couldn't even pull back the foreskin to clean it. Bacteria could then be trapped during urination and cause infetion easily. Therefore, a circumcision is definitely necessary.

As for our first born, his case is not as serious. We could pull back his foreskin but not completely. It was still quite tight at the end of it and we're told that as he gets older, he would feel painful when there's an erection. Therefore, circumcision was also strongly advised.

Yes, of course we wouldn't have the boys gone through this if they didn't have to. But for their well being (at least we and the doctors agreed), we believed we've made the right decision and my boys are perfectly fine and happy now.

pfydo is offline Registered User
    Not sure if any more advice is needed/wanted, but I'm from the US and have a 10-month old circumcised son. The procedure did not require any injections, just a numbing cream and he didn't even cry. He was less than a week old.
    Deanna (rhymes with: )

Taphrina is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    To Carang (with respect to female circumcision).
    Well, for your info, female circumcision and male circumcision are completely different things. if you want to compare the 2, then lets just say that female circumcision (which is usually followed by suturing of the skin surrounding the outer lips which have been cut off as well in some cases to only leave space for pee and menstrual space for a penis which will have to tear its way in on wedding night) would be the same as the complete removal of the penis up to the this is not the same at all as only removal of the foreskin, which will not cause any harm or pleasure removal during intercourse!
    The foreskin use is as a protection for the head of the penis and is used as "lubricant" during intercourse. The problem with having the foreskin is that it needs special cleaning attention. If good hygiene is not respected, infections will occur.
    It is proven that women with circumcised partners have a much lesser chance of getting cervical cancer (caused by Papilloma virus).

In some cases the foreskin cannot completely retract itself, inducing pain, impossibility for sexual intercourse, and infections. Then, circumcision needs to be done.

I am not saying that doing it to a baby will not cause any pain, but the pain is not remembered (I have asked several Jewish friends). As for that child being less pain resistant...this is a personal behavior and not linked to previous pain endurance.

It was a standard trend in the US, but it has been stopped in may states in the past few years.

As for sexual intercourse, having a circumcised partner makes lubrication solely the affair of the foreskin to act as "lubricant". But then again, KY does exist, and some women with non-circumcised partners still have lubrication really, having your child circumcised or not is your own personal choice. He will have a happy life and he will enjoy his sexual life as much as any other man.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Discovery Bay, Hong Kong
    I think circumcision (of boys!) is a personal choice thing. Our son was circumcised for religious reasons and it would have been very strange for us not to have had him circumcised!

Male circumcision has been recently been approved by the WHO as a new weapon in the fight against HIV/Aids in Africa. Circumcised men are less likely to get and pass on HIV/AIDS than uncircumcised men, so the reccomendation now, in Africa, is that all baby boys are circumcised.
    Just another issue for the argument!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast