Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

food during pregnancy. what's your guilty secret?

ctrbabe1 is offline Registered User
    Pok Fu Lam, Hong Kong
    I haven't been "avoiding" foods in particular. I never eat sushi anyway (don't really care for it), and I don't drink alcohol or caffeine anyway either. So that hasn't been hard for me. Once in awhile I do crave a good sandwhich w/ deli meats and cheeses, but it's a rare occurance, so I don't think it's a big deal. Last night we went out to a big Chinese dinner for dh's grandma's birthday and they served shark fin soup. I've sworn off it for other reasons but when everyone asked why I wasn't eating it, dh played the pregnancy card.

As for other snacks, though, (chips, cookies, chocolate, ice cream etc), I need to do better. I'm still doing ok w/ weight gain, though I'm very surprised because I've been eating so much junk. (Hello, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Chinese New Year... I never get a break! lol) The last week or so I've really been trying to cut back the sweets and eat more veggies.

As for the cravings, I haven't had the "text book" cravings, I guess. W/ my dd I craved salty and sweet, and this time around I'm finding the same thing. Some days all I want is a big bag of doritos, and some days all I want is a bunch of chocolate or ice cream. :) (we don't know the gender this time around.)
    All the best,

ElaineCharlize is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Hihi, may I know why pregnant woman cannot take softcheese? I only know that pregnant woman can't take crab, spicy food, mutton, watermelon, mango etc

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    why not "crab, spicy food, mutton, watermelon, mango "?

i ate loads of watermelon and spicy food when i was preggers!
    granted by the end of the pregnancy, the indigestion was so bad, i couldn't eat anything spicy. but i ate it right up to about 7 months! if i liked mutton, i would have eaten that too... just can't stand it though...same for mango.

as for the soft cheeses, it's because of a bacteria that can grow on them and cause problems for pregnant ladies. but again, that said, i still ate my feta cheese!

i think that the difference is cultural. i know taht according to chinese, there are loads of things you shouldn't eat during pregnancy that dont necessarily have a medical reason behind them. most things westerners don't eat have medical reasons behind them.

SoLong is offline Registered User
    Kennedy Town
    I just feel like eating all that my mother cooked when I was little. I guess that is comfort food for me these days. Just love junk food as well (though I try to eat less of it). Have been craving butter chiken a lot. I have always liked it, but these days when I think of chicken I think butter chicken. :) I guess my body needs more protein.

A question......why is it not ok to eat papaya? It is wonderful source of vitamins and keeps you regular as well. I hear some ladies saying that they had it during their pregnancy, some say only during a part of their pregnancy and some don't have it at all.
    :cheerlead Almost time!!!!!!

ELT is offline Registered User
    I'm Chinese, we avoid Papaya during 1st trimester as we believe it can lead to miscarriage. It is however highly recommended during 3rd trimester as it helps disgestion.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123