Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

food during pregnancy. what's your guilty secret?

aussiegal is offline Registered User

food during pregnancy. what's your guilty secret?

Hi everyone, just thought I'd find out how strict (or not) everyone is with their eating. Are you avoiding soft cheeses, raw fish etc? If you are pregnant for the second or third time did you go a bit easier on the restrictions? And what about junk food?

I'm pregnant with my second and have definitely eased off a little. The first time round I wouldn't touch anything on the naughty list. I have a friend who is a midwife and is pregnant with her second child. She is eating oysters (natural) and anything else she wants. She says that the chance of anything happening is so miniscule she's not worried. Her husband is a doctor and he agrees.

I'm craving raw salmon and sushi BAD!!!!!!!

KatBoo is offline Registered User
    this is my second pregnancy and I'm no where near as strict this time. I've eaten smoked salmon, pate, lobster, dippy eggs.....and a glass of Guinness most evenings (full of iron!).

carang is offline Registered User
    if you think about it, Japanese eat sushi ALL THE TIME, even when preggers. so, second time round i ate a little of it.

as a matter of fact...the second time round i ate anything and everything that i wanted, without guilt.

i figured that i'd never in my life gotten sick eating a sandwich made with cold cuts, so what would the difference be when pregnant.

awhitman is offline Registered User

Eating during pregnancy

I had my second child last September and I was craving sushi really badly throughout both pregnancies but didn't touch any until the last 4 weeks of my second pregnancy. I think as long as you buy food from reputable places and don't eat it every day, you should allow yourself some indulgences. It's hard enough being pregnant without having to crave something and not be able to eat it!

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    I love Guinness but have only had a couple of sips this pregnancy. A couple of gulps of any alcohol and I feel like my legs are going numb when I'm pregnant. I'm really looking forward to some serious drinking! I'll have had two kids in 16 months and that's one thing I'm hanging out for.

As for Sushi etc that's what I thought. If Japanese women eat it why can't I. I think I'll have some tonight..

Ham, italian sausage and cold meats. Yum. I had a tiny taste of ham at christmas but apart from that I've resisted.

Wish I could say the same about chocolate!

awhitman is offline Registered User

Japanese Women and Sushi

Actually, I'm not trying to be a party pooper here but most Japanese women avoid eating raw foods when they are pregnant (according to a news report that I saw).

On another topic... I was a text-book case according to Chinese theories because I craved sour acidic things when I was carrying my son and sweet things when I had my daughter - anyone else experience this?

Aussiegal, we are in the same boat because my children are only 15 months apart!

carang is offline Registered User
    well, one of my closesst friends is married to a japanese man. they lived in japan for 12 years and when she went back when she was preggers all of her japanes friends looked at her like she was nuts when she told them she couldn't have sushi....

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User
    I did not touch pork as hated the smell but had lots of watermelon, sushi (almost weekly), beef, shrimps, spicy food -- everything our Chinese parents told us not to have.

The only thing I loved but stayed away was oysters as fear of contamination, alcohol and of course cigi. Not one smoke since pregnant.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast