Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Which baby bottle brand is safe to use then?

pinemarten is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by pinemarten View Post
    went to mothercare today and there were two bisphenol free brands of bottles, the medela and another plastic brand I now can't remember (pregnancy brain). Annoyingly and typically, the mothercare staff weren't able to tell me which of their teats would fit on the medela bottles.
    The other brand was MAM. They're coloured plastic.

Maika:
    but what about as baby gets older? what about sippy cups? what about plastic products my husband and i use? does biophenol-A only leech out when heated? how 'hot'?
    I am sure you can get bisph.-free sippy cups too if you want to. There's a box in this article with a list of cups and bottles: http://www.healthobservatory.org/lib...fm?refid=77083 - basically you're just looking for polyethylene or polypropylene plastics, and avoiding polycarbonate (hard clear plastic).

Apparently it leaches out through repeated use when not heated, just in very tiny amounts, so could be completely safe. The amounts increase with the age of the plastic (as it gets scratched and worn). That article has some info.

As for products you and your husband use, probably loads of them use polycarbonates! And then there are pthalates to start worrying about (in soft PVC plastics).... It's just not practical to eliminate unsafe plastics completely. Seems the general rule is avoid them where practical, replace them as they age, and avoid heating food in them.

sunrays is offline Registered User
    I have just checked my Medela bottles and the numerous teats I have bought (fussy baby!) and found that the Nuk teats fit the Medela bottles. Also, the Pigeon sippy cup spout teat works as well. Forget about the Avent ones, they are too broad at the base. Hope that helps!

pinemarten is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by sunrays View Post
    I have just checked my Medela bottles and the numerous teats I have bought (fussy baby!) and found that the Nuk teats fit the Medela bottles. Also, the Pigeon sippy cup spout teat works as well. Forget about the Avent ones, they are too broad at the base. Hope that helps!
    Darn, I went and bought the MAM bottles. Oh well....

Zen
    Zen is offline Registered User
    Pigeon makes glass bottles.
    Eugene Club at Queen's Road Central stocks them.
    They had some other brands of glass bottles as well.
    Cant recollect the names. Nuks or something, I think.

hermoine is offline Registered User
    Glass bottles are only okay with very young babies. Ones they have the strength to throw around things, it can be pretty dangerous.

elaine is offline Registered User
    Bfree and Dr Brown have bottles which are made of polypropylene plastic - look out for the label "PES". And Chu Chu (Japanese brand) has glass bottles.

awhitman is offline Registered User

Safe Plastic Bottles

Good news! The brand that someone mentioned before 'Bornfree' is available in Hong Kong. It's called BFree and it is free of that supposedly dangerous stuff (sorry - forgot the chemical name).

You can buy it in Jusco and Seiyu in the baby section. My children have switched to these bottles but my toddler didn't like the nipples and we have found that Avent nipples fit perfectly. To be honest, I don't know if it really makes that much difference - but I think I have bought some peace of mind.

Anne

woodk6 is offline Registered User
    awhitman, which Jusco did you see them in?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast