Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

OMG! i think i'm crazy! (flight advice please!)

carang is offline Registered User
    thanks guys, i appreciate the advice on a direct flight. however, financially it just is not possible. i've spent hours on the phone with the travel agents (about 3 or 4 of them)...

as for the run around in tokyo, it should work as it is in late morning/eraly afternoon. we depart HK at 8:25am.

ideally and initially i thought... direct flight at night. then i seriously considered bringing my helper with me. problem is $$$$... we just don't have it right now as i've not worked since christmas. as it is, i've had to borrow the money to go. i can't spend it all on flights and have nothing left for when i'm there...

i guess i'm just going to have to make the best of it and pray for my boy to be having a good day( he usually is very well behaved, so it would be very out of character for him to have a tantrum on the plane.)

thanks again guys! this forum is always so helpful and supportive!

mum of three.... what do you give your 2nd?

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Carang,
    one last thing. I would definitely agree with the other mums who've suggested night flights. They are a lot easier.

And you are right, it's all about keeping your toddler occupied. They will make or break your flight! My little one loves eating little snacks so bring whatever is their favourite thing that will keep them busy every now and then.

As for trying to get 3 seats on the flight so your toddler can lie down - the best way to do this (without paying) is to have your agent actually reserve you two seats with a spot free in between you two. We've done this a lot and it has always worked. Effectively every single seat on the flight would have to be taken for them to seat someone in between you too. Again, because they don't want regular passengers in with us travellers with kids. If you do luck out you can always get the other passenger to swap when on the plane.

And final suggestion to put out there. I've never personally done it myself but I know A LOT of people give their kids something to calm them down so sleeping is easy. Maybe other mums can tell you more but people look at us like we're crazy when we say we haven't done it before!

Canucker is offline Registered User
    Carang,

CX flies directly from HK to Vancouver twice a day (and they have the baby basinets if you request one). Once you get to Vancouver, you can hop either a West Jet flight or Air Canada - but I am pretty sure neither is direct (via Calgary) so you would still be able to visit your friend in Calgary. There is a chance AC flies one or two direct flights to Regina (early AM/late PM).

Just got photos from my folks in Saskatoon - dress warm - lots of snow. Hope you grandma is doing better.

Good luck,
    Canucker

canucker... you're from saskatoon????
    me too!!!

age? high school, please???

can't afford cx nor ac....boo hoo... i'd fly cx in a minute...i'd probably know the pilot too...

joannek is offline Registered User
    booking the 2 seats (aisle & window) on the 3-seats on one side will most probably guarantee 3 seats if the flight's not full. but you'd have to forgo the bassinet if you want your child to lie down. but having a bassinet means you can put down the infant while you entertain your 2 yo. then i'd book the aisle & window of the 1st row, so to secure your bassinet & your little boy has that corner to play in. try this website http://www.seatguru.com/ on seat arrangements.

if you have to fly so many legs, do imagine lugging your infant & toddler in tow (check whether you're allowed to bring your stroller in-flight, mostly you won't, so you'd have to carry infant & toddler-strap your 1yo with all those connections), waiting in waiting rooms to board, having meals, plus watching hand carry (i imagine diapes, extra clothes, snacks & toys?), i imagine backpacking is or not a posibility?

i would rather leave the 2yo at home with helper & hubby, but bring the infant. seriously.

joannek is offline Registered User
    oh, and remember your bad back. well, tell me you HAVE to go with the 2 of them, and see what else we can work out, old friend.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    The things I’ve found help when travelling with little ones are:

Don’t get on the plane early. Often mothers with babies and children are allowed on first. But this means longer for the children to sit still. I try to get on last so the kids can run about for longer. I’m short so always need help putting my bags up and if you get on late there is always someone who will help you.

Try to find toys that are lots of games in one. My mother bought me a box with blocks in it. The blocks made a jigsaw puzzle out of squares. There were also little shapes that fitted into the blocks. My 23 month old played with it for hours when I took him to the USA. I looked in Wise Kids today (sorry couldn’t face Toys R Us) and the only thing like it was a Ravensburger block puzzle with six blocks and six puzzles (one on each face) for only $55.

Another favourite toy that was good on the plane was a miniature Thomas the Tank Engine set. Unfortunately I can’t find anything like it on sale now. But it was small trains and other engines that could be pushed around a track which was only about 12 inches long. The bits were actually not recommended for the under 3 year olds but he liked it and as I was next to him when he played I didn’t think this mattered too much.

Kinder eggs were also a favourite with my kids. They liked the chocolate and saw it as a treat. And then they liked the insides too.

I found that my children are usually well behaved on the plane but wanted to make lots of noise once they were off it. I think having so many stops sounds awful but might in the end be fine.

Although these trips can be hard work. I think it is always worth the effort because if you don’t go you can easily end up regretting it. I took my two younger children home to England for a weekend once. Yes, it was tiring and everyone else thought I was mad but I got to see my family and no one can take those special memories away from me.

Good luck,
    Barb

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast