Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

OMG! i think i'm crazy! (flight advice please!)

carang is offline Registered User

thanks guys, keep the suggestions coming!

i'll try to head to wise kids for the puzzle. i plan on brining my son's favourite blanket and a few new little things to keep him occupied.

i'm goint to try to see if i can get an external battery for my ipod video so i can get "cars" and a few more movies on there for him....

we'll see...

(joannek... i HAVE to take my son. i'm going back so that my gandmother(their great grandmother) will be able to get to know them as she's not doing very well and i'm afraid i won't get the chance again.

HKfornow is offline Registered User

Carang, how about an alternative asian airlines, Korean, Japanese, Taiwanese etc.(I would not recommend Philippine Air). Since you will not be flying directly to Canada and need to have a stop-over, you probably won't pay the premium that you would CX or AC, and you still won't have to deal with US immigration.

joannek is offline Registered User

well then, ipod video is a great idea... or any sort of portable dvd will keep little boy entertained for hours (i.e. if u'll let him watch that much tv. at a time like this, i think it's ok)

then i'd suggest you try to book the front row aisle & window & bassinet on all your routes (so you're only paying for you & little boy). pls ask your agent to make a note in the computer that you're travelling with a 2 yo & an infant, so that they have gerber baby food & diapers ready on the plane for you. unless the planes are full, you should be able to get all 3 seats to yourself. but armrests cannot be puput up, so 2 yo won't be able to lie flat. if you're willing let him sleep on the floor, you can ask for 2 blankets, fold them & let 2yo sleep on the blankets? or you should have 3 pillows, ask for maybe 2 more, put the blanket on top & you've got an instant little bed on the floor. birng some chlorox wipe to wipe the sides near where he'll sleep then he can lie flat & u feel that it's sanatised.

you also have to plan ahead how you're gonna be carrying a baby & watch a running around 2 yo. bring enough diapers or u might be able to get travel size diaper packs at the airports? bring enuf change of clothes for them & you (in case the kids spill sth on you) probably enuf for another 2 days (in case your luggages get lost) when you arrive at regina. with transits like that, it's better to be safe. (knock on wood, but i've lost my luggages 5 times in all these years of travelling & i'm not a frequent flyer)

carang is offline Registered User

hey guys,

thanks again for the advice. i was initally hoping for korean, but they are fully booked and i even asked the agent for "any day that week or the week after"

on one hand, i thinkt hat the front seats/bulk head would be better as my son can't bother the person in front as much. but as you said the armrests don't go up. so i think that i'll stick with a middle row. it would be great if we get 3 out of 4 seats and then no one sits in the 4th. that way we'd get an entire row. my daughter is small enough that i can rest her on the seat beside me without the bassinet. although i'm going to check seatguru.com to make sure i get the seats that i want.

i just got a double pram for $250 HKD. i can take that up to the gate with me, then check it in there. that should mean that i'll get the pram back at every stop. that way, i'm not carrying either of the kids (it would be impossible with my back). i think that i'm going to take the $ that i would have spent on a new pram and put it towards a new portable dvd so that my boy can watch dvds. i really wouldn't care if he watched them the entire trip... that would make life so much easier for me.

i've already been to toys'r'us to stock up on a few new goodies for him.

i will also stock up on some yummy treats for him for the flight.

thanks for the reminder for change of clothes. i actually hadn't thought of taking some for me until last night when i got a huge baby vomit down my top, between my breasts into my bra... yuck!! after that, i thought... I NEED TO TAKE SOME FOR ME TOO!!

thanks again guys. keep the suggestions flowing!

capital is offline Banned

I just did a trip from HK to Canada yesterday. I had my mom help me on the first leg, and the second leg I was on my own. I know for sure that there is a flight from vancouver to regina on air canada. I have one peice of luggage that is lost when I arrived home. My children are age 1 and 3, so from my experience I wish I had a portable DVD player. Several people had them, even adults without children. My 3 year old loves stickers, and sticker books kept him amused for a long time. I agree with the specail treats. Call the airline ahead to request the childrens meal. It is brought out earlier so it gives you a head start on getting your 2 year old fed before your food comes. I had a three hour wait between flights in vancouver and the plane was 1 hour late on arrival, so I had 1 hour and 50 minutes from landing, until my next flight was scheduled to leave. I barely made it. I got to the gate at last boarding call. And my mom had gone ahead of me throught immigration and had all the luggage ready to go for me. Remember that the strollers are brought out last when you take them to the gate. I am almost always in the last group of people to get out of the plane because of that. Luckily my second flight on my own was short, so didn't need a bathroom break on the plane, but I am really not sure how I would have peed myself. I have to lift the three year old onto the toilet, while holding a 1 year old! Maybe the flight atttendates help you, I am not sure. I find that kids did not nap or sleep according to their usual shedules because of all the stimulation and activity going on, so keep that in mind too. I think you just have to go with the flow and let them nap when they feel like it. My three year old was very wound up and would not steetle to sleep on the HK to Vancouver flight, he finally slept at about 1000 Pm and he did not nap at all that day. Normally naps and sleeps hours earlier. I would take up any offers of help that you are given!! Good luck! we had three seats in a 4 seat row and the attendants tried to offer the 4 seat person the 1 empty seat else where on the plane and the woman refused because the offer was not the aisle, I think most people would move though

Good Luck!

jane01 is offline Registered User

I second the recomendation for some 'sleepy juice'. Dr Siu at Island Health gives us Atarax. It is an antihistamine which makes hyper toddlers nice and sleepy. Test it before you go, as sometimes it can have the opposite effect. I have also tried Phenergan but found she woke up in a fould mood - probably with a headache.

Good luck

re: stroller, pls call the airlineS and make sure that they can take it out at your transits. some can only do when you arrive at your FINAL destination, cos the tag on the stroller says your destination. so pls make sure that you will get your stroller at EVERY transit.

i seriously don't think ANYONE in their right mind would wanna sit next to you when there are other seats available on the plane (LOL). so do call the airlines & check, if the flight isnt full, you can bet that you're gonna get all 4 seats to yourself.

then bring sth for yourself to eat (dry food, like sandwish, crackers, sth cold, non-spill & easy to eat.) when i fly, i cannot eat the tray of hot food next to my child, she'll lean over & knock off everything. i agree with capital, be prepared that little boy won't nap along with his usual schedule. and bring extra milk (is 2 yo on formula?) my daighter refused to eat whenever we fly. over the two 13 hours flight +12 hrs layover (last sept we flew from Vancouver- HK via london with a 12 hr layover) she only drank milk, water & ate fruits. she was already on formula, so i was glad I had a full pack of extra formula in my hand carry. what i did was i transfer the milk to a ziploc bag & clipped it close (so it's lighter) then put it in a "lock & lock" container.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast