Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

OMG! i think i'm crazy! (flight advice please!)

carang is offline Registered User
    thanks guys!
    he does drink formula. i was hopinig to break him of this habit and get him to drink regular milk. i was going to try the "oops, mummy forgot"...i was wanting to do this for a couple of reasons.

1) i dont' think they do formula for 2 yr olds in canada
    2)saves me the hassle of bottles/nipples/mixing, carrying bags of powder etc.

now i'm starting to think this may be a bad idea...

Babar is offline Registered User
    Don't mean to scare you more, but one other thing to think about is getting your husband to write a letter to inform immigration that you have his consent to travel alone with the kids - see http://www.voyage.gc.ca/main/before/..._travel-en.asp
    There's a sample letter in there that you can copy.

I travelled alone with my daughter to the UK and Hong Kong from Canada and they have checked on a few occasions. The first letter I produced was not notorised/certified and they questioned that too but I just told them I was not aware it had to be notorised. A friend travelling alone with her baby to Vancouver from Hong Kong was detained for a few hours when she arrived because she didn't have a consent letter.

thanks, i know about the letter. i had one with me last time and it was computer printed with my hubby's signature. the immig guy in vancouver said that i should have my hubby handwrite it next time.

i guess i'll have to get one notarised...what a pain inthe neck!

thanks for the warning!

Babar is offline Registered User
    Regarding milk, they do have formula for toddlers in Canada but you may not find the same type as what you're using in HK. If your newborn is on formula, make sure you take enough for the whole trip. Organic whole milk is so cheap there compared to HK, I would use this!

i just talked to my mum and she told me to throw out all the bottles tomorrow. the only time he uses them is for his milk.

so, i'm going to buy a special cup that's "for the airplane" i'm going to start mixing the formula with fresh milk for a few days and then over the next 10 days, switch to only fresh milk from a cup.

hopefully this will prevent any tantrums and it'll be much easier once we are airborne. i'll take the special "airplane cup" with us....

thanks babar... didn't know they had "toddler formula" in canada.

mrs momo is offline Registered User
    hi cara, i suggest the following:

1) make sure u email the airports and airlines that you will need help to move to different gates if you have direct connecting flights and they are at diff gates. last time i flew, they didn't even bring out my stroller because the connecting flight was one hr away but the connecting gate was miles away. they said if i had put in a request a bit earlier, i could of got the help. lucky i had my helper with me but i knew if i insisted when i got off the plane i would of got some help. a gf of mine was just lazy and didn't want to walk around Changi airport so she said her back was sore when she got off the plane. they got the motorised buggy and transported her to the next gate! also my mother in law had that service too as she is fat and didn't want to walk!

2) i recommend you get a bassinet so u can put your baby down and not worry that she would fall out of your arms in case u fall asleep. with your 2 yr old, i am sure he will fall asleep regardless of what position he is in when he is tired.

3) if u do get a bassinet, pls consider which way you put down your baby. from this then decide which seats you want. the baby's head must not be facing towards the aisle. you don't want to manouvre your baby too much when you put her down in the bassinet because you could wake her up. i am not sure if your baby will be affected by this as she is still very young. i woke my LO up because i had to basically flip him around as his head was facing the aisle.

4) also don't get yourself too stressed up. i was really worried the last time i flew that I had sleepless nights before the flight. remember it will only be one or two days of your life on the plane, it is not worth getting all worked up about it. i am sure your pregnancies were more stressful so this will be nothing! you will breeze thru it!

thanks for teh advice and encouragement!

i'm going to collect the tickets today. i will ask the agent about getting the help. then i'll call the airline when i get home.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast