Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

What baby carrier to buy?

beetoy is offline Registered User

What baby carrier to buy?

Hi all,

I am new to baby carriers and still deciding whether to buy one and if yes, which type/model/brand to buy. Here are my questions:

-if we already have a good stroller, why do we still need to invest on a baby carrier?
    -my baby is 2 months old, what would be a good carrier to use (for longer term) and until what age should a carrier be used? dont babies start enjoying running around at 1.5 years old and arent they becoming too heavy to be carried?
    -i came across a Combi carrier today for around HKD630. anyone has used it?
    -heard about Baby Bjorn. any user comments? and where to buy? at what price?

Thanks a lot!

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User

Hi

I had a combi carrier (think the model is nanni ninna), very light, and comfy for my little boy until he's 3 months when he started to refuse being carried facing me (my combi can only carry the baby lying down or facing the parent). Another problem with the combi was I could not handle it alone. The one I had needed more than 2 hands to handle.

I recently bought a babybjorn which allows me to carry my baby facing forward. The material is quite durable, yet soft and has cushioning. I can use it without help too. Most importantly my boy loves it.

I also have a stroller. When I go out with the baby by myself, I would bring the carrier too. There would be situations where I need to fold the stroller (say on buses / taxis), and that's when the carrier comes in handy. I would use the carrier and still have both hands available to fold/unfold the stroller. If I bought something, I would use the stroller to carry the merchandise. With a stroller I really don't use the carrier that often but I do see great value having one standing by.

spockey is offline Registered User

We love our baby bjorn sport. Bub was carried around in it especially by his dad til he was about 7-8 months. Bub is long and heavy so didn't last as long as we thought it would. It was super for the back as it had proper crossback... like putting on a fantastic sport bra!

I know that there is a baby bjorn summer friendly model. We were going to get if not for the fact that I have such a bad back. A friend who uses it says that it's great for summer.

geiboyi is offline Registered User

The Baby Bjorn won't last you that long once the baby gets heavier. If you want a structured carrier then the Ergo carrier is much better - it will last until your child is 2 or 3. You can get it from www.doubibou.com (in Macau - they will ship here) for about $800.
    If you just want something you can pop in a bag and use when you don't want to use the stroller, then a ring sling is the most versatile carrier, and can also be used until 2 or 3.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

My favourite baby carrier is the mayawrap. I used it with my last two children. Although I used it when they were small babies I really liked it when they were toddlers. It was so easy to slip them in and out of. Youngsters do like to start walking around 14 or 15 months BUT they don’t want to walk far. So if you don’t have some sort of carrier you’ll end up carrying them with no help.

The other thing I liked about the mayawrap was how easy it was to get a sleeping baby down on the bed. You simply place the baby and sling over the bed and slip out of it leaving the baby asleep. I had real problems getting sleeping babies down with other types of carriers.

A stroller is nice if there aren’t any steps. (Is there anywhere in Hong Kong without steps?) But if there are steps you end up carrying both the baby and the stroller.

I found a stroller much better values when my children were around two years old. Carrying them when they were awake at this age was fine as the weight was on my hip but once they were asleep it was really heavy – much easier in a stroller.

If they were ill I’d use the sling again because they liked to be next to me at such times. The last time I used the sling was when my youngest was three and a half. She was ill and I was in Tokyo – I don’t think we’ve have coped without it – Tokyo is even more unstroller friendly than Hong Kong.

Matty is offline Registered User

It depends on where you live and what your lifestyle is.
    I know some friends that have a car and live in Sai Kung and use only a stroller, and have never missed having a carrier.
    But for myself, I've found living in the Midlevels a carrier has been invaluable.

I've no complaints about the Baby Bjorn Active. My son has loved it since birth, and it is still comfortable to carry him at 8kg.
    I think the back support is worth the extra cost.

Sleuth is offline Registered User

We second the mayawrap, which can double as a blanket, towel, safety strap, rain cover, etc.... And it will fit inside your diaper bag.