Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

New cabin allowance restrictions and travelling with babies

my_ldbug is offline Registered User
    I agree with pianokc - never give airplane water to baby under 1yrs old.

My husband and I travelled to Canada over christmas with our (then) 7.5mo old. We were lucky that HK Airport didn't have any restrictions at that time and we had our thermos bottles all packed. However, we ran out before his last meal and had no choice but to use some airplane water - my son got sick soon after which lasted for several days. Not sure whether it was from the water or whether it was from travelling. But when you're on the road with a little one and outside the comforts of your home environment, you don't want to have a sick baby to have to take care of.

On our return, we couldn't take any water onto the plane - however, we were allowed to mix formula in front of them and put it back into the thermos. However, that wasn't enough to hold my son over all the way back to HK. Luckily, my sister-in-law introduced me to canned formula (i.e. all pre-mixed; just needs to be heated up) just days before we left Canada. We picked up a few cans (I think 6oz tins) and just had those heated up for us by the cabin attendants when we ran out of the thermos' formula. Not sure if you can get those here in HK.

pianokc is offline Registered User
    no, no ready to drink formula in HK. My friends pay thousands of dollars to have them shipped to HK. Finally, they gave up b/c it was too expensive!

noella is offline Registered User
    Bumps to Babes stock some ready made formula

joannek is offline Registered User
    i am a little lost here. can we mix formula with bottled water? distilled or mineral? i started giving my baby mineral water/distilled water when she was 4 mths old (she was exclusively breastfed).

and NEVER let children or people with a weaker immune system drink the water from the plane. there have been numerous incidents where healthy adult had stomach problems after drinking water from the plane. always, if possible, buy bottled water at the airport after customs.

woodk6 is offline Registered User
    Don't plan on buying bottled water after you pass through security. I flew to Los Angeles in November and at HKG there was another security check AT THE GATE where they checked again for liquids and put whatever you had in a plastic bag. I was pretty surprised by this. However, in my experience Cathay Pacific always has plenty of Evian or Vittel bottled water.

jaetee is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by joannek View Post
    i am a little lost here. can we mix formula with bottled water? distilled or mineral? i started giving my baby mineral water/distilled water when she was 4 mths old (she was exclusively breastfed).

and NEVER let children or people with a weaker immune system drink the water from the plane. there have been numerous incidents where healthy adult had stomach problems after drinking water from the plane. always, if possible, buy bottled water at the airport after customs.
    Do you mean the bottled water that the flight attendants hand out are not safe to drink?

pianokc is offline Registered User
    water in bottles like Evian, Vittel, or Volvic are safe. However, for young babies.... Maltida, and my pediatricians always say to boil the bottled water... you never know how they have been treated before being bottled.

carang is offline Registered User
    i've had two kids and i've NEVER boiled bottled water. so long ast he seal is not broken before they open it, you should be ok.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast