Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

New cabin allowance restrictions and travelling with babies

mlgs is offline Registered User
    New Mama,
    The restrictions vary from country to country. So from Hong Kong it is easier to get on a plane with baby food but from North America, London it's pretty tight. Suggest you check the airport websites - from Vancouver there is no limit but you need to declare and you may be subject to additional screening. The less you carry the less the delay.
    Tips for travelling -
    Baby food: Unless your baby is highly allergic, there's usually stuff in the plane thats baby friendly - bananas, rice, congee, potatoes - I can usually get a bland main course , mash it with the fork and baby eats it. Or take a slice of apple and scrape it with the spoon
    Milk - for a 12 hour flight - take one day's worth of milk powder just in case of delays.
    Bottled water - is usually available and good enough. How old is your baby anyway?
    I try not to be particular with baby food and formula, if they get too used to one brand or type of food, it gets hard to travel since you will not always have the same taste even if you have the same brand.

Canucker is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Hey Guys,

Here is the Press Release straight from the HKAA. Hope it helps.

The Civil Aviation Department will impose new security measures for screening liquids, gels and aerosols in cabin baggage for all departing flights from the Hong Kong International Airport ( HKIA ) from March 21. The new measures are being implemented to comply with the new guidelines of the International Civil Aviation Organisation ( ICAO ).

The Chief Operations Officer of the Civil Aviation Department, Mr Simon Li, and Head of Safety, Security, Environmental and Planning Services of the Airport Authority Hong Kong ( AAHK ) Mr John Lamond outlined the new security measures at a press briefing today ( February 27 ).

Mr Li said that for the safety of passengers, ICAO had recommended for adoption by States a set of new security control guidelines for screening liquids, gels and aerosols carried in cabin baggage. The guidelines were formulated by ICAO in light of a terrorist plot to smuggle liquid explosives onto aircraft which was foiled by the UK Government in August, 2006.

The new security measures for cabin baggage to be implemented at HKIA include:

1. All liquids, gels, aerosols in cabin baggage must be carried in containers with a capacity not greater than 100 ml. Liquids, gels, aerosols carried in containers larger than 100 ml will not be accepted, even if the container is only part-filled;

2. Containers have to be placed in a transparent re-sealable plastic bag of a maximum capacity not exceeding one litre. The containers must fit comfortably within the transparent plastic bag, which should be completely closed;

3. The plastic bag has to be presented separately from other cabin baggage for visual examination at the screening point. Only one transparent plastic bag per passenger is permitted; and

4. Exemptions will be made for medications, baby milk/food and special dietary requirements subject to verification.

Explaining the details of enhanced security restrictions and operational readiness at HKIA, Mr Li said that as part of the global efforts, the Government of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region was committed to complying with the ICAO standards and recommended practises. "All passengers at HKIA will be subject to the new cabin baggage restrictions and are asked to be patient with the enhanced procedures in place."

Mr Lamond said the Airport Authority was committed to upholding the highest standard of safety and security. "We will continue to work closely with our services provider, i.e. the Aviation Security Company Limited ( AVSECO ), to ensure sufficient manpower and related facilities are in place to facilitate the implementation of the new security measures directed by the Civil Aviation Department."

The travelling public may consult their airlines and visit the websites of the department and AAHK ( and ) for information in relation to the new security measures at HKIA.

NewMama is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    It seems that the new restrictions are very stringent, but we'll have to see how the airlines choose to enforce them. (I presume the final check before you board the plane is the airlines security?)

The first time I flew with a baby (a few years ago) he went through 4 big bottles of milk during the flight! take off, landing and two in between. I think he was really thirsty and for some reason just refused water or diluted juice. Now I'll be travelling with two kids, one of whom is dependent on formula and the mushy baby food. I don't think there's a restriction on the number of bottles you bring, but they have to be 100mls max (hopefully the Avent 120mls will be close enough to get through - has anyone had problems with these?). Has anyone tried the disposable bottles? Or are they over 100mls? I have visions of flying with my handluggage filled with ziplocked mini bottles of water and juice.

I will check out some of the premixed formulas before we fly and try them out. If the younger one will take any of them then that will be back up.

I've never had a problem with bringing food along, but I have had problems on the flight with the so-called children's meals. Some airlines are great, but once the airline provided a jar of Heinz pureed carrots for my then 2.5 year old. This was the entire child's meal, no bread, no yoghurt, nothing else.

Thanks for all the information. Thank you for contacting the official agencies responsible and getting information directly. Its difficult at the moment because when I speak to friends they've all had varying experiences depending on the departure airport and sometimes even airline.

If anyone has any recent security experiences, we'd be grateful if you could please post them.

bbvv is offline Registered User
    Please note the below found from - exempt from 100ml requirement.

Is there a restriction on the amount of baby milk / juice / food that I can carry through the screening point?

Baby milk / juice / food in LAGs form is exempted from the 100ml requirement and there is no specific limitation on the amount. Passengers are allowed to take sufficient amount for the flight. To facilitate the screening process, it is recommended that amounts under 100ml be placed in a 1 litre plastic bag, with other liquids. If the container is larger than 100ml, it should be presented separately to security for x-ray inspection. Your accompanying baby should be present at the security screening check point.

To avoid inconvenience at the security screening point, passengers should pack the baby milk/juice/food of your accompanying baby that is not required for the flight into the hold baggage.

How about baby milk powder formula?

There is no limit on powder formula that you can bring in your hand luggage and water is available in shops after security and airlines can provide water during the flight.

homedad is offline Registered User
    Shatin, Hong Kong
    Hi Pianock,

What happens if child is given on board water ?
    We've given our child such waters before these restrictions during several long haul flights.

Did your pediatrician mention any problems?

sky123 is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    I read in the Cathay site that water bought in the restricted area of the airport - I guess once you have passed customs is exempt. They have many shops inside so I'm sure some of them will sell baby friendly water such as Volvic or Wildalp. Right?

ELT is offline Registered User
    1. All liquids, gels, aerosols in cabin baggage must be carried in containers with a capacity not greater than 100 ml. Liquids, gels, aerosols carried in containers larger than 100 ml will not be accepted, even if the container is only part-filled;

4. Exemptions will be made for medications, baby milk/food and special dietary requirements subject to verification.

I would need hot water to mix formula... can i bring thermo flask with over 100ml capacity?

beckymaky is offline Registered User
    Hong kong
    Just read thru the replies. Bumps to Babes do sell ready made formula in cartons for >6mths babies. The new born ready made formulas are not available anywhere in HK except hospitals. Don't know why. Spoke to one of the sales people from the milk companies and they said there just wasn't a big enough demand in HK for it. With regards to the thermos >100mls for mixing. I don't think so, one of the previous posts stated that they were told that they can take water for formula as long as it was in 100mls containers. I suppose the assumption is that we can get water after the security check. Obviously they are not mothers. I always mix my formula with hot water otherwise I feel the powder doesn't really desolve. The hot water on board planes is dubious, have you ever had a really hot cup of tea or coffeee! I am sure they never boil it to 100'C , can you imagine if they served really hot tea and it got spilt on a passenger! Big law suit. Safer to serve cooler tea.
    I will be travelling to the US with a formula fed 10 week old baby, who feeds every 3-4 hours, in a few weeks. Am looking into seeing how I can get someone from the UK to get me some ready made formula sent over. If anyone has any suggestions it would great. It eliminates any possible problems at the security check.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast