Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

maya wrap

miaka is offline Registered User

maya wrap

where in hk can i get a maya wrap + instruction dvd?

rani is offline Administrator

You can get it from the La Leche League in HK

http://www.lllhk.org/index.html

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

miaka is offline Registered User

thanx rani.

has anyone had experience w/ the maya wrap? i have a carrier, but find that all of baby's weight is on my shoulders and neck. would the wrap distribute the weight across my back better?

Geo
    Geo is offline Registered User

Hi, I have used the Maya wrap before when my boy was around 15 months. This carrier is very convenient from birth to toddlers. Esp when they are learning to walk, they may want you to hold from time to time and this is where the wrap comes in trendy and useful. Of course the weight distribution is not as efficient as the traditional carrier on both shoulders but that is more for younger babies.

Proper use of Maya wrap should not cause neck pain. If that is the case, the strap is too near your neck. It should covers part of your shoulder and upper part of arm, then it will not hurt your neck. For the back, yes painful if you carry for too long......However, I look at it to "take off" some weight off from me versus carrying the toddler without any aid, then it will not seems to be so heavy. Sometimes I carry the weight on my sidehip, sometimes I change the weight to my abdomen, then it should make you feel better.

You can look at the website for the proper use of it. The instructions should have some picture. Cheers.

jools is offline Registered User

I wouldn't be without my Mayawraps. I've now carried two children in them. If we are out, they always went or are in the sling. My youngest has only been in a stroller once and he's now eight months old.

On my personal list of 'must haves' with a baby, my mayawraps are right at the top.

In terms of shoulder and back pain. After carrying them for a day I tend to get an ache in the shoulder, but what is great about the sling is that it is so adjustable that it usually only takes a bit of tweeking and the ache stops. Another major bonus with the Mayawrap over other slings of the same style, is the Mayawrap is designed to have a part of it that you pull down over the shoulder (shoulder cap flap) which means even more of the weight is distributed across your back. Other similar slings tend not to have this. I have a sling by another manufacturer and I can't wear it for very long without my shoulder aching.

There is a learning curve to go through when first using the sling, but it is so worth it. Another major plus is being able to put a baby who is asleep in the sling into a cot without waking them up-just loosen the rings and gently lift the sling over your head with the baby in it.

As you can probably tell I'm a big fan.

Sleuth is offline Registered User

Add me to the fans of the mayawrap, for all the reasons stated above. Never had a pain problem that wasn't solved adjusting the sling. And it doesn't happen very often.