Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

What was your HK birth experience like at Matilda or any other private hospital?

jwng is offline Registered User
    Aussiegal,

Gave birth at Matilda and everything is excellent! Chose semi-private (3 in a room) but it's very spacious and when I was there it wasn't full and had the room all to myself for 3 days. Nurses and midwives were excellent and very supportive. During labor, 1 on 1 support is given to you. That means a nurse/midwife was with me the whole time I was in the birthing room, even when I was sleeping. I had a bout of postpartum depression during my stay and the nurses were really supportive and understanding as I was a first time mom. They also made sure my husband & I learn the basics in caring for our newborn (bathing,changing nappy, making milk and breastfeeding). I have a friend who gave birth at Adventist and when we compared notes, nurses in Matilda is definitely more supportive especially with breastfeeding. Food is at par with a fine dining restaurant.

Granted, it's more costly than the other hospitals but I felt I was at the most comfortable place to give birth in HK. And I feel it's worth it as it's not going to be a yearly place to visit. lol!!!

spockey is offline Registered User
    kashismum
    Congratulations! I hope everything has gone as smooth sailing as can be!

kashismum is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by spockey View Post
    kashismum
    Congratulations! I hope everything has gone as smooth sailing as can be!

Thanks, Spockey! 12 days in and feeling on top of it now. My boy's a champion sleeper!

Agree that the breastfeeding support at the Matilda is far better than that at the Adventist.

sophwillsmum is offline Registered User
    Sorry, I'm probably out of the loop these days but is an induction followed by epidural, episiotomy then vacuum delivery really considered to be 'natural' these days? I really wanted to avoid the experience of being flat on my back, unable to move from the waist down while someone yanked my baby out then stitched me up. Iwas fortunate to have two beautiful experiences with my daughter and son and would like to be able to repeat this. Is epidural and forceps/episiotomy what people consider to be a 'normal' delivery here? We are considering a third baby, but I'm really scared of having unnecessary intervention just to fit in with a doctors schedule. Any advice would be appreciated.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Sophwillsmum, I really get the feeling that here in HK there is a huge amount of intervention but I think a lot depends on the doctor so by doing your research you can get the outcome you want.

I had my first baby in Australia and went 10 days overdue before being induced. Here people are routinely induced before they even get to their due date which I find bizarre. And as for the number of women having c-sections it definitely seems that doctors look for any excuse to perform them.

I guess you should take heart that you're not a newbie at this so you know what you are doing and what you want. When you are pregnant for the first time you listen to your doctor as if they were god believing they have your best interest at heart and not theirs. If you get a good doctor this happens but if you don't well that's another story.

If you want a referral for a doctor who seems to be pro-natural (i.e. vaginal birth, induction only after you pass your due date, epidural only if you want it and certainly forceps only after you've tried everything else) try Dr Dawkins at the Matilda.

sophwillsmum is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the advice. My two bubs were also born in Australia at the birth centre at the Royal womens. I just love it there as their philosophy was always that 'birth is not an illness' and that the majority of women are able to give birth without any help just as they have been doing for centuries. Yes caesarians can save lives, but when the statistics are now saying that one in three births are caesar, you have to wonder how many were acyually necessary. Thanks so much for the heads up.

slamdunk is offline Registered User
    Your doctor should honour your birth plan/wishes as far as it is safe if you deliver at a private hospital. In HK it is not just the doctors which are pro-intervention for natural and other births but sometimes it's a patient preference. Early inductions are routine for births on 'auspicious' days or to meet Chinese new year cut offs, and i guess with the private system (much like in other countries) there is the option to request c-sections to avoid painful labour/delivery.

I had a little girl with Dr. Sally Ferguson at the Matilda in November and found her and the midwives totally supportive of my birth plan through a long labour. I ended up with an emergency c-section as my labour did not progress and bub showed signs of distress but I did not feel coerced into anything.

Find a doctor with a good reputation for being pro-patient (like Dr Ferguson) and I'm sure you'll have a good experience.

jools is offline Registered User
    I agree with Slamdunk, you also have to realise one of the reasons behind the high elective C-section rate is due to the appalling level of maternity leave the working mums in Hong Kong receive. So many will work right up to the date of their C-section to ensure maximum time with their baby after the birth. If they wait for nature to take its course then they can take a huge chunk out of their maternity leave and be left with little time with the baby afterwards. I'm not saying I agree with this, but I can understand their thinking.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast