Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

What was your HK birth experience like at Matilda or any other private hospital?

spockey is offline Registered User

What was your HK birth experience like at Matilda or any other private hospital?

Hi!
    I had a wonderful birth experience with my first bub at the North Shore Private Hospital in North Sydney. I had a wonderful OB and a wonderful team of midwives looked after me.
    DH and I are considering a second baby but I am apprehensive after such a wonderful natural birth experience.
    I was induced, got my epi, gave birth 4 hours later, bub was vacuumed out and I walked away with only 2 stitches.
    I am wondering if anyone has any good stories to tell about their birth experience here in HK and if so, who was your OB?
    My OB in Sydney was a wonderful man with fantastic bedside manners and had a sense of humour... even when he was called in at 11.45pm and has had to deliver a bub just before he delivered mine.

jools is offline Registered User
    I have given birth twice now at the Matilda and once in the UK on the NHS. The Hong Kong experience was a million miles away from the UK one. They don't call it The Hotel Matilda for nothing.

My OBGYN was fantastic (Sally Ferguson) and I can't praise her highly enough. She stepped in at the last minute with our second baby, as my doctor was called away on a conference. I first met her mid-contraction and she was brilliant. Very calm in the delivery room and very clear with her information. We also hired Hulda from Annerley midwives to act as our doula, as I had heard that HK doctors like to perform C-sections and I was determined not to have one. Hulda was absolutely brilliant and came up with the most amazing advice just when it was needed. She's also a lovely person.

Needless to say when I found out I was pregnant with our third, Hulda was the first person I called, closely followed by Sally. The third birth was even better than my second. My first two children were ventouse and suctioned out. I discussed this with Hulda and exlpained that I had never had the 'urge to push'. She spoke to Sally, who agreed to stay outside the delivery room until Hulda called her in, giving me enough time to get the 'urge to push'. Boy when you get the urge, you really get the urge and our third child was born after three pushes. I can't thank Sally Ferguson enough for being willing to stay outside. I wanted a natural birth and that is exactly what I got. I know that once doctors enter the room they feel the need to intervene; at the end of the day they are being paid to deliver your baby. Sally Ferguson allowed me to deliver our baby in the way I wanted to and for that I think she's fantastic.

I should also point out that I have delivered all my children, using Entinox (gas and air). The last one was 4.3kg (9lb 9oz) and I know it was the support of Dr Sally Ferguson and Hulda that made this one the easiest birth out of all three.

I can thoroughly recommend Hong Kong as a place to give birth and with any luck the fourth one that we have planned will also be born here too.

Thanks Jools. I will definitely be considering Hotel Matilda and Annerly midwives. I'm quite the sookielala when it comes to birth. But good to know someone has had a great experience in HK.

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    My first birth was in Matilda w/ Dr. Lucy Lord. Fine & happy, but at the end of the day the price ($$$$$) made me feel a bit dissatisfied, thinking "maybe I could have been just as happy w/ someone else".

2nd baby, did private patient at public hospital (Prince of Wales). Dr. Fung is fine, th birth is great & I'm pleased w/ the service. So, I was just as happy w/ the public hospital as w/ the private in terms of quality & I was happier w/ the price. But, I seem to be getting more basic at every birth. I think if I had a 3rd baby, I would go public system the whole way.

Quote Originally Posted by spockey View Post
    Hi!
    I had a wonderful birth experience with my first bub at the North Shore Private Hospital in North Sydney. I had a wonderful OB and a wonderful team of midwives looked after me.
    DH and I are considering a second baby but I am apprehensive after such a wonderful natural birth experience.
    I was induced, got my epi, gave birth 4 hours later, bub was vacuumed out and I walked away with only 2 stitches.
    I am wondering if anyone has any good stories to tell about their birth experience here in HK and if so, who was your OB?
    My OB in Sydney was a wonderful man with fantastic bedside manners and had a sense of humour... even when he was called in at 11.45pm and has had to deliver a bub just before he delivered mine.

Thanks Loupou. I don't think I'd have the courage to go public. Our insurance policy covers the birth at Matilda and OB costs. So I'm hoping it won't be too great a pinch.
    TNJ likes this.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Just wanted to share my positive experience at the Matilda. My son was born there in October and I can't recomend it enough! The nurses are fantastic- not only obviously experienced but with senses of humour too- very easy to get on with and very, very helpful!
    I hate hospitals and have a real fear of them but being at the Matilda isn't like being at a hospital at all- everything is so comfortable and the food is great!!!!
    My ob was great (Clement Chan), he is very, very cautious....like a lot of Doctors in HK, but that worked for us as this was our first baby- so we wanted cautious!
    Expensive, yes- but well worth it....am also too much of a coward to go public (I know the medical care is first rate but still not for me.....)
    My husband was able to come and go as he pleased, which we really appreciated- as were guests etc.

kashismum is offline Registered User
    Just arrived home today!

The Matilda was fantastic - even compared with The Adventist. Yes, it's expensive, but if you have insurance, that;s not an issue anyway. Some of what you get in terms of extras are tangible ie food and TV, and some are not ie breastfeeding support and freedom of hubbies to be there for you 100%.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

aussiegal is offline Registered User

Congratulations Kashismum!

Congratulations on your little one. What did you have? You can tell me what it's like to have two little ones so close together. Mine will have almost the exact same age difference when I have my second in June.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast