Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

MMR to vaccinate or not?

spockey is offline Registered User

gillwrayhk@yaho,

Could you please email me the links? This is my email address: [email protected] My partner needs to be convinced that there is no threat ;-)

Thanks!

Nic
    Nic is offline Registered User

MMR vaccination?

I know this thread is old, but my daughter is rapidly approaching her 1st birthday and according to the public system which we have been using (and the UK programme as it currently stands) she should have the MMR vaccine soon.

I have read many articles saying that the link with autism has not been scientifically proven, but it dies play in the back of mind especially as I have family members who are autistic.

Any thoughts/ comments would be very welcome.

Thanks

southside852 is offline Registered User

My son had the MMR at 13 months as it's also required for Americans. He did not even have a fever after it. There is no direct link with autism and the MMR. From what I understand, the signs of autism in general apparently start to show at 1 years old so there is no way for saying for sure if the MMR is the cause of it.

Matty is offline Registered User

There is a great documentary that plays from time to time on BBC Knowledge, it worth keeping an eye out for and watching.
    I think the title is "Does the MMR cause Autism?" or something similar.

It went through all the studies that have been carried out recently in disproving any link between MMR and Autism, including the new controversial link of a subset of children with a rare bowel disease that were claimed to be especially at risk.

It basically went on to say there is no link.

MLBW Guest

A close family friend's eldest son (now 13) was diagnosed with autism. He never showed any symptoms until he was 16-months-old and was diagnosed when he was about 2-years-old. From what she shared with me, usually if a child does not show signs of autism by the time they are 3-years-old, they are essentially "in the clear."

I asked her about the MMR vaccine this past April when it was Autism Awareness month and she said that although there is no proven link between the two as of yet, she was still cautious with her two younger children and she chose to wait longer to vaccinate with them (until they were just about to enter kindergarten) and she bought the more expensive vaccination that does not contain the preservative thimersol (but it is three separate shots--not the combined. thimersol is a form of mercury).

Where I'm from in the States they still give the MMR shot at 2-years-old and not 1-years-old so after consulting with our doctor we have chosen to wait to vaccinate at least until then.

This is what the CDC has to say about the MMR shot and autism:

CDC on Autism and MMR

Hope you and your husband can come to an understanding.

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User

Thanks MLBW for your post. It was very insightful.

I have heard about the link and the debate ever since and opted to give my kids the shots.

No autism here and none with anyone I know either who have had the shots.

sunrays is offline Registered User

The other option is to do the MMR but as three separate shots

southside852 is offline Registered User

In HK, MMR is done in two shots - 12 months and then again at 18 months.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast