Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

MMR to vaccinate or not?

KKKK is offline Registered User
    It is fine to leave it 3 or 4 months.

However obviously during that time your child is at risk of catching measles / mumps etc, but they have been at risk of that since birth anyway. In fact I think they may not actually be protected against it until they have had their follow up shots anyway - I know this is the case with some of the vaccines. Which ever way it works though delaying will obviously leave them exposed to the illnesses for longer.

asalles is offline Registered User
    Doea anyone know of a hospital in HKG that administers the MMR seperately??? Thank you

carang is offline Registered User
    not as far as i know.

KKKK is offline Registered User
    OTP normally do but at the moment they can only get hold of the measles vaccine - I think this is a more global issue than just HK - the London private docotors are the same - can only get the measles one.

zyxwv is offline Registered User
    Production of the single mumps vaccine has apparently been suspended indefinitely by Merck (the only manufacturer worldwide).

Here is a link to the opinion of one US MD on the issue: AskDrSears - The Vaccine Book: Separate Measles, Mumps, and Rubella Vaccines No Longer Available? What Can Parents Do?

LeahH is offline Registered User
    Mumps is globally not available as they stopped producing it. However, the company that make it will resume production with the vac potentially available in 2010.

My daughter has had the measles single shot from OT&P, rubella is on order (it is being produced, there is a massive backlog due to high demand).

If there is an mumps outbreak we will get the MMR combined shot.

carang is offline Registered User
    i thought this was an interesting article.
    i liked that it was from discover magazine, a science-based publishing house, not a partisan publication for either side.

Why Does the Vaccine/Autism Controversy Live On? | Vaccines | DISCOVER Magazine

LeahH is offline Registered User
    For clarity, we have pursued getting the single shots as we do not have transparency as to my daughters genetic history. On both sides there is a view that particular groups of children may have vulnerability to vaccines and that genetic history is a likely factor.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast