Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

MMR to vaccinate or not?

jaykay is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    i thought this was an interesting article.
    i liked that it was from discover magazine, a science-based publishing house, not a partisan publication for either side.

Why Does the Vaccine/Autism Controversy Live On? | Vaccines | DISCOVER Magazine
    What a great resource, an extremely well written and informative article.

I have 3 kids and all have been vaccinated. I personally know and have lived with the damage caused by mumps for over 30 years. As a 5 year old the mumps moved inside my ear damaging the nerve which resulted in the nerve completely dying and 100% hearing loss in that ear. The damage is irreversible. This is only one of many permanent issues that these viruses can causes. So for me it's a no brainer.

That article also highlighted another area, the one of the clusters of the unvaccinated which may allow mutation and the subsequent danger to all children including those who have been vaccinated. That is an extremely selfish attitude.

asalles is offline Registered User

Thanks for the informative article... I am leaning on waiting until my son is 16-18 months to get the combined shot. Thanks again Carang

akachan is offline Registered User

There is NO LINK to the MMR vaccination and autism. In fact, it is irresponsibe to NOT vaccinate your child.

While deaths from measles, mumps, or rubella have been nearly eliminated from first world countries, if parents continue to forgo vaccinations the "herd immunity" which now protects unvaccinated kids (poor families, uneducated or substance dependent mothers, etc) from catching the diseases will be weakened and we could easily see a resurgence of these nearly eradicated diseases.

In short, there is no excuse or reason to not vaccinate your child if you have the resources. Take your medical advice from research scientists and doctors--not John Travolta!

aussiegal is offline Registered User

Completely agree with Akachan. It is irresponsible to not vaccinate. The more people that buy into the spin of those against vaccinating the worse it is for those that realise that the world is a far safer place now that the majority vaccinate.

lesliefu is offline Registered User

my daughter was up for the MMR but our paediatrician recommended that instead of that we should get the flu shot instead (since flu session is coming up) and so MMR will wait....I think it is just responsible to get the shots because the onset of MMR at an older age is very dangerous...the more old, the more dangerous they say...so why not....

KKKK is offline Registered User

Hi I've posted this before but is just for your info - the latest research suggests there may be a link between mmr and autism and but that link may be when paracetamol is used after the vaccination

Acetaminophen (paracetamol) use, measles-mumps-rubella vaccination, and autistic disorder: The results of a parent survey -- Schultz et al. 12 (3): 293 -- Autism

Sage is offline Registered User

Retraction of 1998 Paper Linking Autism to Vaccines

Following the case where a special court ruled that autism was not caused by vaccines on the claimants' children (read article here), the medical journal retracted the 1998 research paper which started this whole debate.

Read it here:

British Journal Retracts Paper Linking Autism and Vaccines - NYTimes.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345