Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

C-Section at Queen Mary?

myfavoritebags is offline Registered User

C-Section at Queen Mary?

Wondering if anyone could share their post c-section surgery experiences at Queen Mary? Specifically, I am curious to know if nurses helped you to the toilets, etc. afterwards or if they left you to fend for yourself and if strong pain medication was given if requested (beyond Panadol)? Thanks for your help!

vickirummun is offline Registered User
    I had an emergency c-section at QMH in Sep...my experience was that they will help if you ask them to ( for example going to the toilet). It is of course a busy hospital and what I found hard was trying to lift the baby up in the night to feed him - I should have asked more but I was trying to be as quiet as possible, which was a bit silly really. In terms of pain relief, I can't remember what I was taking but whenever I asked for some they gave it to me and sent me home with plenty for the next couple of weeks!
    I found some of the nurses to be realy kind and helpful and others not so much but I think that would be the same anywhere. What I will say is that I was shocked at the recovery period after the section and if you can aviod it do! If you can't then take it as slow as you can!

KUC
    KUC is offline Registered User
    I also had an emergency c-section about 1 year ago in Queen Mary & besides that it was an unexpected emergency everything went very well. They gave me a lot of painkillers, although after I took the first 2 (as recommended) I felt very dizzy, so I started to only take 1 when I felt the pain coming back. We were really content with the overall experience in Queen Mary, but as it is a very busy public hospital, it is better if you can help yourself. I didn t have any complications, they sent us home on day 2 (best decision ever) & my recovery went really fast.
    Only one thing: if you want to brestfeed, you should insist that you start right after the operation, we had a little bit of a battle because of that. Finally I had to wait 2 very long hours in the recovery room & then they wheeled me up to the baby ward to brestfeed our son...
    Good luck!
    KUC ;-)

carang is offline Registered User
    i've had two c-sections in 2 years at QMH.

excepting one or two, the nurses are FANTASTIC! i was hospitalised about 15 times total for the two pregnancies and i was able to get to know the nurses/orderlies quite well.

my second experience (4 weeks ago) was much better than my first.
    i found that my healing time this time round is 1/10 of what it was the first time. it was not nearly so painful and i was even able to sleep on my side after 3 days (the first time it took me almost a month!)

if you need help, ASK for it! they will do their best to make your stay more comfortable. i hate the feeling of the lochia expelling, so i was asking the orderlies to help me about every 3 hours. not only did they help my with bed pans and changing the pad, but they'd come around with warm water and clean me down there too. at first i was a little embarrassed, but in the end, i figured that we are all women and most of us have been there.

good luck!

ps. please remember to take (1) ear plugs; (2) eyepatch; and (3) an ipod or something to keep you occupied.

myfavoritebags is offline Registered User
    Ladies, thank you so much for your insight. I feel much less anxious about delivering at QMH. Just curious, what did you think of the doctors there? And, did they do a good job regarding your c-section incision/scar?

KatBoo is offline Registered User
    Does anyone know if Queen Mary allows elective c-sections?

I'm expecting twins and at the moment all the evidence is pointing toward a c-sect (I'm small, babies relatively large, one is breach, I had premature + difficult labour with my first baby).

If I get past the 34 weeks, then I'll aim for the Matilda and an elective c-sect, but my concern is if I go into labour prior to 34 weeks (in which case I'll have to go to QM). What I don't want is to go through 27 hours of labour and then end up having a c-sect anyway!

Thanks

carang is offline Registered User
    my second was clasified as an elective...after discussing the possiblities with the high risk team, they agreed with my request.

i have no regrets whatsoever. my second was SOOOOOOO much easier than the first!

Matty is offline Registered User
    My understanding is that QMH do not allow C-section without medical reason.
    I'm pretty sure that twins are covered under this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast