Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

DH asking to borrow money

capital is offline Banned
    Is that really that terrible? 3 months notice is a lot, I would only give my employer 1 month notice if I wanted to quit and go to a different job.

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User
    I don't see how you can ask for the passport really! It's not like we own the DH's life. I mean, imagine your boss ask to keep your passport, even if it is with all the good intentions!

Believe me, if your DH has the intention of using you as a stepping stone for another job in Canada, you are not going to be able to stop her even if you held her passport.

As to being a guarantor, my gut feeling tells me that many so called guarantors were in this together with the borrower. The DHs are not stupid. Their agents and friends told them stories and warned them about these type of situations. Even my DH who is first time in HK heard million stories about people running away with the borrowed money. Don't mean to be judgmental but most DHs are not that 'innocent'. And don't under-estimate people's creativity when they are determined to scam you.

If you look at outcome of these cases, very often the employer ended up lending the money to the DH interest-free -- so who's the real victim?

shri is offline Administrator
    If you agree that the victim is the employer -- then how do we protect ourselves?

If you don't agree that the eventual victim is the employer -- we have another issue to deal with. :)

From our perspective -- we know that the helper can report the passport stolen / lost and get a new one in days -- it is not like we're taking her first born or her soul and holding it ransom.

However, it gives employers a peace of mind. Rather us than a loan shark.
    Last edited by rani; 03-09-2007 at 01:24 PM.

TingTing is offline Registered User
    As what I know, DH can borrow money with her ID card and employment contract. No passport needed anymore. So I don't keep my DH passport. My ex-DH borrow money from bank few days before she left HK. (So you can see her intention is not going to repay)

She just worked with us for 9 months and she said she is missing her son and give one month notice to me. When she left, she had three large luggages back home and lots of unpaid telephone bills. I received annoying calls after few weeks she left coz repayment day is due. I have to fax them the termination letter to final the case.

Good luck!

joannek is offline Registered User
    i used to keep my previous helpers passport. but then i heard that they can borrow money with just an ID card. and this helper actually asked me to give her back her passport after our last trip.

so keeping the passport helps?

hermoine is offline Registered User
    Sorry typo, I meant 3 weeks rather than 3 months. Apparently, once the Canadian Consulate approves and issues a working visa to a DH, she has only 3 weeks time to move over.

joannek is offline Registered User
    yeah, that happened to my friend. she had a new baby & the DH gave her 3 wks notice and left for Canada (and she has worked with her before she got married). and it took her 3 mths to get a new DH. poor girl.

rani is offline Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by joannek View Post
    i used to keep my previous helpers passport. but then i heard that they can borrow money with just an ID card. and this helper actually asked me to give her back her passport after our last trip.

so keeping the passport helps?
    I guess not then. I didn't realise they could borrow with their ID cards. The finance companies must have caught on that employers are holding the passports and made things easier for them.

, I didn't realise the Canadian visa processing was so fast. It's a great opportunity for helpers. Not so great for us
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast