Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

DH asking to borrow money

hermoine is offline Registered User
    It takes the Canadian Consulate about 4-6 months to process. And then once they approve and issue a visa to the DH, she will have to land in Canada within 3 weeks time.

Really not so great news to us employers...but good for them! Mind you, I heard some of them weren't happy in Cananda after working over there for a year or so, especially when they realise that they have to pay lots of income tax, high living costs compared to Hong Kong, and the cold cold winter as well. Some of them ended up asking their HK employers to have them back.

joannek is offline Registered User
    yes, plus they have to pay for own ticket to go home, which is so much more expensive & far away then HK. a lot of them never saved enuf money to go home. some hasn't been home for 5 years to see their children. and most of them have to rent a home outside of their employer's, cos they're supposed to stay out on weekends when they're off. rent, running a house, cost of living, they end up not being able to save more than in HK. that's why they need to come back. unless their intention is to immigrate & apply for their children to go, then they should go to canada.

but then, they always think N. America is the land of gold.

jane01 is offline Registered User
    Personally, I think keeping a helper's passport is too much like slavery, but that is just me...

For what it is worth, I don't loan money to my helper. Twice in the 6 years she has been working for us, she has asked for a small amount of money for relative's medical expenses. Both times less than HK$3k. She has offered to pay them back, but I have treated them as a one off gift. I was satisfied that the need was genuine. It wasn't a huge amount of money to me, but it was to her.

I think lending to your helper is a bit like lending money to friends and family - don't expect it back !

For what it is worth, I wouldn't lend her HK$20k. To me, that is too much to lose. I wouldn't expect my employer to loan me over 5 times my monthly salary.

jane01, you're very lucky. i have a friend who's DH borrowed money from loan companies & other DH in the bldg and when the DH left, everyone went to my friend to get their money back & the loan companies kept calling.

then there was one who's DH borrowed money with her passport & when they went for a trip, my friend had to pay the loan to get back the passport so they can went on the trip.

rani is offline Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jane01 View Post
    Personally, I think keeping a helper's passport is too much like slavery, but that is just me...
    I'm not crazy about the idea either. But it really pisses me off that when helper's borrow money, they give the finance companies your home #. The loan sharks don't care if there's a child/baby in your house. They'll call non-stop, in our case it was every 5mins. We eventually took the phone off the hook for a few days and my helper also switched off her mobile. Which is a real pain if you don't have another land line/ cell phone # and you can't call home to check on yr child.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Joanne - yes, after reading these stories, it sounds like I have been lucky. I hired my helper when she was already in HK, so if she had agency debts, she must have paid them before she started working for us (I will have to ask her about it). I know she is very careful with money and that is one of the qualities I like about her - I think it shows she is responsible. Having said that I know she doesn't have the opportunity to save much money as she is supporting her whole village at home (well, it seems like that).

If finance companies harass you at home for your helper's debts can you report them to the police/have them barred from your telephone through the phone company/etc?

you're very lucky to be able to find a helper from HK who is responsible & good. i'm trying to replace this DH I have, but all the agents i went to said i have zip chance of hiring one from HK, cos i have 2 other helpers at home, and there are a lot of ppl in the household.

Joanne - reading the experiences of people here makes me realise how lucky I am.

Do you mean that you currently have 2 helpers and need a third? Wow, that's a lot of helpers ! Could you hire a relative/friend of one of your current helpers? Hopefully that way they would work well together? When my helper's daughter in law came from the Philippines to HK (to work for another family) my helper paid the agency fee, so there was no trouble with finance companies.

But sounds like you don't need my advice, as you have plenty of helper experience already. Good luck.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast