Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

notarisation~ is it necessary?

carang is offline Registered User

notarisation~ is it necessary?

as many of you know, i'm taking my two kids to canada next week, via japan & USA. i know that i should have a letter from my hubby stating that i have permission to travel with the kids and not him.

on the info from the canadian consulate, it says that the letter "may" have to be notarised.

do you think that this is necessary, especially considering the convoluted nature of our itinerary?

if yes, where can i get it done on such short notice? any idea how much it will cost? do i type the letter myself then take it in? does my hubby have to be there?

thanks guys, i know how helpful you have all been in the past and i'm hoping that you can come through for me yet again!

sky123 is offline Registered User

If the letter has to be signed before a Notary Public then your husband must be present and sign in front of him. Any law firm with a Notary Public will do it (provided the Notary is available). I believe the fees would be around HK$2,000 with some minor disbursement fees. Just phone and ask.

seriously!!! $2000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    yikes....never would have thought it'd be so much!

just found that the canadian consulate can do it for us for $325HKD.

but what does my letter need to include?
    thx!

sky123 is offline Registered User

I think you should ask the Consulate about that. Maybe all you need is a few lines stating that he consents to you travelling with your children to .... without him.

great thanks!

capital is offline Banned

I came through canada customs last week without my husband and was asked for a letter, and asked where dad was and when he was coming back to canada. We didn't think of it until the day I left so it was not notarized, and they never said anything about it. We just copied the information to include that was suggested on the air canada website. and of course my husbands phone number at home and cell phone in case they wanted to call him. It was a hand written note, I have heard that is prefered over a typed note, but don't know that for sure.

thanks for that information!

Scroll to top