Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

hospitals FULL in June

aussiegal is offline Registered User

VIP room at Matilda

Purely out of curiousity has anyone got a clue about how much the VIP room costs at Matilda? It's probably hellishly expensive but it sounds like it's the only room you can guarantee yourself of.

How would I explain it to my husband's medical insurer???!!!

mum of 2 is offline Registered User
    Aussiegal, I think it's HK$3000 per night more than the private room. I'm not sure if the doctor's fees increase too though (although I still need as justification for price discrimination based on accommodation type).

woodk6 is offline Registered User
    It is an extra $3000 per night but I'm sure that also increases your Dr's and any other misc fees. I saw it and it's not worth the extra $$$. Basically, instead of having a balcony (as I'm told all the private rooms do), that "balcony" space is enclosed to make the room bigger. It also has a shower/bath combo instead of just a shower. According to our tour guide, that's the only difference other than the room in general just being slightly bigger. don't get me wrong, I'd take it and gladly pay the extra $3000 per night (my insurance will not cover the upgrade) as opposed to nothing. I don't think that you can "guarantee" it though as it seems to have the same "risk" as all of the other rooms.

KatBoo is offline Registered User
    I sent my ObGyn an email and this is her reply.....

"No I cant "make" a confirmed booking at the Matilda until October now , but what I do is send in your details and they keep them on record. No prioritisation for elective Caesarian. However I am reassuring my patients that I have a high expectation of being able to deliver them at the Matilda or the Adventist (I expect not to be able to with approx 1%). So the main problem is anxiety and uncertainty."

Doesn't really make me feel hugely better....especially as I have a "high-risk" pregnancy.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Hi KatBoo,
    is it Dr Dawkins that you see? He said the same thing to me.

You're right, it doesn't make me feel better.

jools is offline Registered User
    I don't know if this helps, but I delivered at the Matilda, two years ago, before the scramble for beds that is happening now, and we were booked into a private room. When we arrived these rooms were unavailable and so they upgraded me into the VIP room with no extra costs. I also know that the doctor's fees are dependent upon which room you have so if you book into the VIP room then your doctor's fees will be greater than if you are booked into a private room.
    Has anyone contacted the management of these hospitals to find out what they are doing about the bed crisis?

teresahui is offline Registered User

No guarantee bed!

I have the same situation too. My doctor registered 3 hospitals for me back in January as my expected due date is end of June. Unfortunately, 1 rejected my registration as it's full. The other 2 are just for "record-only", and they do not guarantee any bed. That makes me very worried. I am due in about 3 months time. If worst case the other 2 hospitals are full when I am due, I am not sure if I can go public still. I have never registered any public hospitals. Any comments?

KatBoo is offline Registered User
    Aussiegal, no my Doc is Dr Sally Ferguson. But I know she works quite closely with Dawkins (they cover each other when on hols), I presume they all must say the same things....not much else they can say really. I'm seeing her this afternoon so I'll delve more into the situation.

I know that I definately have to register with Queen Mary because I am expecting twins and private hospitals wont accept you if you go into labour before 34 weeks.

The situation does seem ridiculous, especially as the 'mainland mother' problem has seemingly been tackled (according to the SCMP a couple weeks ago) and they are turnng quite a few away at the borders. Does it mean that the mainland mothers have been organised and booked all the beds, or that there are lots of locals due at the same time?

A friend gave birth 5-months ago at Matilda and was told not to bother booking as there were loads of beds free! She had no problems.

K

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast