Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

hospitals FULL in June

u754268 is offline Registered User

hospitals FULL in June

Have just been told that all private hospitals are full around mid June (when I am due) and will not even put people on waiting lists any more although will keep hold of details. I have been told that when labour starts, I will have to ring around to see if any have a bed and if not, then just turn up at public one and hope. Just imagine though, that is the private ones are full, people will be lining up down the corridoor in the public ones.

Is anyone else in the same boat?

Can't beleive that may even have to consider going abroad so at least I know what I can expect during my birth and have control over it. If only home births were available here!

woodk6 is offline Registered User
    Yes a lot of people are in the same boat. I was until I switched Drs, which I needed to do for other reasons. I was also told by my old Dr that there really isn't a point to the waiting list as if someone drops off, you really don't move up. Everyone (regardless if you're booked into the hospital, on the waiting list, or not on the waiting list) is just going to have to call when they go into labor and see what happens. Even if you have a confirmed booking, you could still get sent away to a public hospital if the maternity wards are full in the hospital you booked. So it's a risk everyone must take. I read in a different thread here that the Matilda has not turned anyone away yet but am not sure if they're talking about just patients that had confirmed rooms or not.

The other thing you could try is scheduling an elective c section on a certain date to try to "guarantee" yourself a bed.

LittleLams is offline Registered User
    I am due in 2 weeks and only got a confirmed room about 4 weeks ago. You should get your doc to book you in for a c-section around your due date. Once you have a confirmed booking the hospital will take you in when you go into labour naturally as they normally keep a few rooms for emergencies (as my doc says)

rani is offline Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by woodk6 View Post
    I read in a different thread here that the Matilda has not turned anyone away yet but am not sure if they're talking about just patients that had confirmed rooms or not.
    I know of one who didn't have a booking and was admitted at the Matilda. I'm sure there are others.
    Last edited by rani; 03-08-2007 at 11:35 PM.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

u754268 is offline Registered User

fully booked

I was told that Mathilda turned away 3 last month. 2 Got into other private hospitals, 1 had to go public. Canossa has also turned people away this month already.

I am worried that if this is the situation for people booked in, then what does this suggest for people who are chancing it the summer. The prospedt is not good.

rani is offline Administrator
    u75,

Will check again with my source at the Matilda. In the meantime, the Matilda has issued a statment. Here's the link

http://www.matilda.org/pdf/Q%20&%20A%20maty.pdf
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

woodk6 is offline Registered User
    I just took a tour of the matilda maternity ward today and it was completely full, other than the VIP room. It was just my husband, myself and the maternity representative on the "tour". I asked about the risk of being turned away. She said not to worry about it if you have a booking. They are now booked through August, however.

KatBoo is offline Registered User
    That's great news for those who have a booking, but not for those of us due before August who don't! Am seeing my Obs this week so will enquire!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast