Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

LH flight with infant - gear logistics/suggestions?

woodk6 is offline Registered User
    Thanks everyone! This has been very helpful. I think I will forget the stroller and use the sling. I will definitely buy the Baby B'Air. I saw it in Bumps to Babes. I also bought this really great thing called a Hooter Hider when I was in the US for the plane (and I suppose just breastfeeding in general). It's like a really trendy, cute breastfeeding tent. www.bebeaulait.com

Thanks again for the help!

carang is offline Registered User
    travelling with a child that age is EASY! it's when they become mobile that things really get difficult!!! (and i fly economy, not business...can't imagine the luxuries you'll get up front...)... i'm turning a pale shade of green!!!didn't know i had envy in me!

woodk6 is offline Registered User
    Finally getting around to taking this flight!

The biz class bassinet seat is 11G to LAX (747 plane).

Also, carrying baby in sling. I take it that I'll have to take her out to go through security? Your experiences here would be appreciated. I have a Maya wrap and it's a pain to get her in and out. We're still practicing with it but I don't find it as easy to use a some people do.

yes, you will have to take her out of it, and most probably run it through the x-ray... i had to hold my baby out in front of me on some occasions to go through security...

Matty is offline Registered User
    Woodk6, I've taken my baby through X-ray in HK 4 times since birth, he's now 9 mths, and each time the staff have allowed me to leave him in his stroller.

Usually they will just peek in and inspect it trying not to disturb the baby.

The one thing you will need to do, is allow passport control to be see the baby's face clearly.

capital is offline Banned
    I found the samw thing in HK airport, didn't have to take baby out of stroller, but every other airport I have been in makes you take baby out of sling or stroller. I am envious too, have always flown economy, and also agree the younger the child, the easier it is. Since your husbands company pays for it, I would also recommend buying an extra seat for the baby and using the car seat. I remember a trip we took vancouver to Hk with lots of turbulance and every time I got the baby to sleep in the bassinette (he was 3 months old) there was turbulance and I had to take him out and he woke up. I had no sleep at all!

i'm just judging from my last trip in march...
    the airports that we went through security were...

hk
    tokyo
    portland, oregon
    vancouver, canada
    calgary, canada
    and
    regina, canada

for each place the requirements were different....

MrsP is offline Registered User
    I took my wee one back to Europe when she was 9 weeks old. We were in business on CX and the crew were really lovely. I didn't like the bassinet as I couldn't see the baby in it if I was lying down so she lay diagonally in the seat next to me which fitted her perfectly (we had bought her a seat but I think that one is the last one they are likely to give out so you may be lucky). Almost all of the passengers on my deck had children of varying ages so we didn't really disturb anyone. I didn't know about car seats on planes by that point but didn't need it. She was feeding so regularly that I wasn't going to get that much sleep anyway.

We went back too Europe again when she was about 9 months old but this time in economy on CX. Again, exceptional crew who were so helpful. At the back of the plane, there is one area where the 3 seats by the window become 2. We got the first set of seats that were a 2 but it meant we had a bit of extra space by the window as well as the seat pockets of 3 seats in front of us. This was great for putting bottles/toys etc in so you weren't constantly having to get up and get stuff out of the overhead cabin. We did take the car seat on this trip which was a godsend as she was only just able to sit up properly and it meant I didn't have to hold her the whole time. It also raised her up a bit higher so she could see the TV screen (although she couldn't listen to it).

The great thing about Hong Kong airport is that if you take your stroller to the door at the other end, by the time you get to Hong Kong, it is waiting for you by the aircraft door. This is not the case with other airports (especially UK airports) where you have to collect it from the baggage carousel which is invariably 300 miles away from where the aircraft is.

A friend of mine with 2 wee ones travelled back on her own with both of them and their car seats. She said she just asked the airline for special assistance beforehand and they helped her through everything.

We took my daughter back again when she was 18 months old. Again economy but there wasn't much point in spending to sit up front as she was running up and down the aisles for most of the flight.

Coming through the airport at London Gatwick was so horrendous that I still need sedating just thinking about it - I spent 2 hours arguing with a horrid little man with a chip on his shoulder who refused to let me take anything on the plane for my child (for whom we had bought a seat) other than her car seat. No bottles, no food, no toys. Hey, it's only a 13 hour flight plus transit time at either end, why on earth would she want any kind of food or entertainment. This, I may add, was not for security reasons, it was just because he was a moron.

From my experience, I would say CX must be one of the most baby-friendly airlines regardless of which class you fly in and Hong Kong is definitely the most baby-friendly airport I have been through.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast