Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LH flight with infant - gear logistics/suggestions?

woodk6 is offline Registered User

LH flight with infant - gear logistics/suggestions?

I will be flying home to California this summer when our baby is about 2-3 months old. I'll be without my husband (at least on the flight over, maybe on the flight back too) in business class on Cathay Pacific. My question is, how have you all managed with all of the baby gear? I have a stroller and car seat in California so I don't need to haul them on the plane unless it's necessary. I'm wondering if I can get away with carrying the baby in a sling the entire time and using the airplane bassinet when I need to. But that might be too hard without the stroller. Am interested to know how others manage with luggage, baby, stroller, etc.

Also, have any of you flown Cathay business class with an infant (I'm told they have one seat with a bassinet)? I have some anxiety about this as I know those seats are expensive and I'd hate to disturb anyone - though I've seen kids in biz class on that route all the time. My husband's firm pays for the flights and he's worried about me getting the help I might need in economy class. Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated!!!

rani is offline Administrator
    Have heard that they allow kids in only one of the business class decks, so not to disturb the other passengers. Can't remember if it's upper or lower.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

woodk6 is offline Registered User
    The bassinet is in the lower deck but I've been in the upper deck with young kids before. I wouldn't dare bring an infant up there though!

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    I would buy the infant a separate seat and use the car seat on the plane. That way you have three places for him: bassinet, your lap, his seat. Each one has advantages. Depending on how active your baby is, the bassinet might not contain him so you can't rely on the bassinet whan you are trying to eat/go to the bathroom. Also, depending on the degree of the turbulence, sometimes they have you remove the baby from the bassinet and again you are stuck.
    I agree that business is better than economy, if only due to the number of attendants per passenger. Some crews will do some "babysitting" for you, others won't.

loupou is offline Baby Guru

Lap Babies

Did the "lap baby" thing w/ my DD when she was 14 months & I was 2 months pregnant w/ no. 2.

1) Checked-in the stroller
    2) Used my large back-pack as luggage
    3) Carried dd in sling on the plane

Managed it on the flight from SF-HK. I was lucky & seat next to me was empty, so I could let her lie on that.

In the air-port my plan was to put DD in stroller & back-pack. In reality, carried dd in sling and pushed back-pack in stroller.

On the way home it was crowded, but managed. LA - HK.

Did lap-baby when younger was 8 months old. Nice folks held him when I ate. Did the same thing w/ sling and stroller.

Both flights were economy class.

Details on advice I once wrote out is here:
    http://ihome.ust.hk/~lbcaplan/hkbb/flyingbb.html

joannek is offline Registered User
    i flew with bub in business on CX when she was youngest 9mths, then at 18mths. she didn't fit in the bassinet. but for yours, your baby will. it's a designated seat 14D or sth (on the lower deck). ask to book the bassinet with your travel agent, you only need to pay 10% of full fare. i usually call CX to confirm that i have booked that seat (altho my baby doesn't fit in the bassinet, that seat have tons of leg room & it's like a little corner to yourself). if business class isn't full, no one is going to sit next to you, so you'd probably have one more seat to put your stuff once airborne. If you're happy with carrying baby in a sling, i don't see the point in lugging a stroller on board. then you'll have a hand to pull a tow-along hand-carry, with all your necessities. i usually have diapers, 4 sets of change of clothes (for me & bub, maybe more for bub), burp clothes, small towels, creams, wipes, small blankie, all packed separately in ziploc bags so they'r better organized easier if you'r bfing, so no need to worry about bottles). i suggest you use a hand carry that can be zip-opened from the top, so you can keep it opened thru-out your flight on the floor.

do go to bumps to babes to get one of those infant flight vest. cx provide the infant seat belt, but since yours is gonna be 2-3 mths, maybe the belt is too large for him/her.

if you're bfing, then offer breast (which baby never rejects!) during take-off & landing to help pop ears. i let baby put on the flight vest, loop my seat belt around the flight vest (you'll see the instructions when you get it), turn her around & cover my shoulder with a blankie & baby nurses away.

CX business staff are VERY helpful & nice. both stewardess & stewards. esp if you're travelling with a baby, they're very helpful. it's a blessing that you'll be travelling in business. it'll be easier than you think.

bon voyage!

momofthree is offline Registered User
    I agree with the above post.With and infant that young,I would only travel with the sling or baby carrier and book the bassinette.That way your hands are free in transit.For the most part its a very easy time to travel with a child and in business class it should be very pleasant.Good Luck!

joannek is offline Registered User
    plus, if you have a choice, always choose business. the staff are nicer & more helpful, and freer to help you. the bassinet is bigger, more legroom for your stuff. great tv selection once. it's actually not bad....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast