Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Woodlands Montessori vs IMS (Wanchai)

chubbysan is offline Registered User

we been offered a place recently at IMS, and we were v happy. But with tis relocation, we are really not sure now. cos we stay in hk island east and travelling to IMS aberdeen everyday for school could b quite taxing for my 3yr old.

Can anyone share if you have similiar experience putting your young toddler on a long school bus ride? Cos i really not sure if she be comfortable.

thanks for sharing.

kcinhk is offline Registered User

Confuse??? soon to be mom

Looking at this thread has really threw me off my balance. I'm a soon to be first time mom in HK (not native) and neither is my husband!
    How, when, where should i start to look into play group, pre-school, kindergarten? as soon as the baby is born? heard that this year's birth rate is really high and may be harder to get a place in school for the kids??
    Firstly, how soon/ early should i start looking at pre-school?
    It's really confusing! and scary too....
    Please, can someone give me some advise.

karenchan is offline Registered User

Asalles,

How much for CDB/mth?

rani is offline Administrator

Karen,

Check here for Annual fees for HK Kindys
    http://www.geobaby.com/articles/educ...g-kong-island/

jeanie is offline Registered User

I made a visit to CDB some time ago.... Unlike my friend, I was not so convinced about the place... It looks very nice to grown-ups but I questioned myself whether kids would also like the very spacious but very white (with almost empty walls) space...

Joanna said that she will continue to fill the indoor playground with things but my gut feeling was that it will take some time. She also mentioned that the school is currently in the process of the application for a 'certificate' as it is not a certified montessori school yet...

Maybe CDB will be very great place next year or a year after.

elephantine is offline Registered User

Each person/child will have different responses to different physical environments and we should all go for what will best suit our own children. I personally thought the space was refreshingly spacious, orderly and beautiful but certainly, others might think differently.

As for the certifications, however, the HK government pre-school certifications are clearly displayed on the walls at CDB. I don't think that's an issue. If the question is about an international montessori certification, I understand both teachers of the 2.5-6yrs class are trained by the highly respected AMI - but AMI is an American organization which really only accredits schools within the U.S. (some other montessori organizations routinely accredit schools outside the U.S., but these non-AMI organizations were not expressly approved by Maria Montessori).

Joanna has stated that she's seeking to get accredited as an AMI *training center* in Hong Kong, to train more adults in HK to be proper AMI montessori teachers. But this is something quite different to getting AMI accreditation to be a *montessori school* - AMI will not do that in Hong Kong and the best one can hope for here is a school that is fully committed to AMI methods. My sense is that CDB was established with that commitment.

talk2amy is offline Registered User

I think another problem which some Montessori parents fail to conisder is whether a very strict and traditional montessori environment will hinder their child's prospects of moving to a traditional primary school. I think the education system in HK is unique in that it is highly competitive and most top primary schools will require candidates to undergo some form of assessment. A good Montessori school should recognise this and adapt to the HK environment, rather than just sticking to the book. I think Woodlands and IMS have a good history of sending their kids to top primary schools in HK, but I'm not so sure about the rest.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345