Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Flying and pregnancy

Canucker is offline Registered User

Hi Everyone,

I asked the RN at my appointment yesterday (24 weeks) about getting a note and she pushed me on to the DR who has told me to see the "Head of Obstetrics" at Queen Mary if I want the note.

Seriously.... no troubles so far. Have been told the baby is normal and have put on 5kg of weight so far. I know things can turn wrong very quickly and the DR's are probably being just cautious in waiting until I need the note. I'm just ticked "at the system" here and how overly cautious they are.

I talked with a friend back in Canada who flew to the US at 32 weeks and she said the airline's didn't question her at all. I just wanted to get a note in case anyone questions how far along I am. Oh well... will see what happens next month.l

Canucker

jamesandsimo is offline Registered User

hi, i travelled back to australia at 36 weeks to have my baby. Cathay asked for a doc's cert but all it said was i was 36 weeks! So it all went fine.

jamesandsimo,

Thanks for letting me know that... I will look into getting a note that just says how far along I am in my pregnancy. I might not even need the note but thought it is better to be safe then sorry.

Canucker

jamesandsimo is offline Registered User

yes, my note was from queen mary, all it said was i was pregnant and how far along i was / or when i was due, either one. they wouldn't do anything else for me. That was fine, it was just the check in staff asking how far along i was and if i had it from the docs.

firstimer is offline Registered User

I travelled to London & then to Madrid on my 30th month and all was ok, taking into consideration that i had low risk pregnancy. Please make sure that you have the necessary papers in case the airline checks. Furthermore, my OB also advice me to put a about 2-3 days rest day in between the flights...Seriously though in hindsight I should have stayed in Hong Kong during the advance stage of my pregnancy, I was so tired from the trip that my immune system was not that great when I came back, plus added pressure from work & jet lag made it even worse am not sure if this contributed to my delivering the baby 3 weeks early.!!.. If this trip is important and can't be postphoned then by all means go, just remember to bring necessary items and some doctor's contact where you're going just in case..

Have a nice trip!

firstimer is offline Registered User

I travelled to London & then to Madrid on my 30th month and all was ok, taking into consideration that i had low risk pregnancy. Please make sure that you have the necessary papers in case the airline checks. Furthermore, my OB also advice me to put about 2-3 days rest day in between the flights...Seriously though in hindsight I should have stayed in Hong Kong during the advance stage of my pregnancy, I was so tired from the trip that my immune system was not that great when I came back, plus added pressure from work & jet lag made it even worse am not sure if this contributed to my delivering the baby 3 weeks early.!!.. If this trip is important and can't be postphoned then by all means go, just remember to bring necessary items and some doctor's contact where you're going just in case..

Have a nice trip!

cmnd is offline Registered User

Canucker,

With my 2 experience, I travel intensively (every 2nd week) right through to the end and did not experience any difficulties. Nevertheless please bear in mind this really varies from everyone.

Most important thing is have a through check-up a week before your trip (requirement by airlines) to ensure you are fit to travel.

Good luck and enjoy pregnancy experience!

firsttimer and cmnd,

Thanks for the advice... up to this point my pregnany has been trouble free and nothing so far has come up to make me think I may have some trouble in the coming weeks. But if I start having trouble I will certainly cancel the trip.

I know the flight to Canada will be long and probably longer then usual being I will be pregnant this time, but once I arrive all I will be doing is staying in one city (and relazing) for 2 weeks until we fly back. We have also started looking into where the closest hospital/doctor will be if I have any trouble and I will take my pink medical book that I take to every appointment with me on the trip.

You both have really put my mind at ease... I was under the impression my request for a note saying how far along I was a FIRST at Queen Mary the way the nurse/doctor reacted. The nurse even wrote in my pink book how I was "pushing" for the note... but then again, she also told me 8-9 servings of fruit and vegetables a day is too much. Oh well.

Thanks again!
    Canucker

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast