Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Flying and pregnancy

mmec is offline Registered User

Considerations

I was in a similar situation when offered an opportunity to fly to the United States from Hong Kong for some business meetings during my 31-32nd week. The temptation was that it would allow me to visit my family who I have not seen in almost a year and a half.

Consulted a few doctors and most young doctors would say NO PROBLEM. The one consideration from a doctor who really went into details that I would like to share with you:

For people who fly frequently, deep-vein thrombosis is an issue. Considering your veins are more swollen than someone who is NOT pregnant, the tendency of this occurence is at a higher risk. So long-haul flights are not recommended. If you choose to take such a flight, best advice is to not go for a direct flight, but transit after every few hours to allow you to walk-around to help alleviate such effect.

Hope this information is helpful in your decision making.

By the way, I have decided not to fly as I wanted to minimize the risk. As for my family, I have sent them videos and photos as well as held video conferences which really helped eased my feeling of not having the family involved in my pregnancy.

LeahH is offline Registered User
    Ive travelled extensively all the way through my pregnancy and had no problems getting doctors notes or with airlines. Just made sure I wore those special tight flying socks, got an aisle seat and walked a little pre and post the flight. I was flying business though, not sure I would want to have done the long hauls in economy... However, I have to stop at 32 weeks for insurance purposes! Defintely check with your work or provider.

tzechuk is offline Registered User
    I am a little surprised to read the poster who said one shouldn't fly during the first and the third trimesters. I flew when I was just around 12 weeks from Seoul, South Korea, to London, UK to attend a funeral and I had no problem whatsoever!

I would be hesitant to fly in my third trimester but if there's a need or want for it, then why not?

mum of 2 is offline Registered User
    tzechuk, I think the reason that some doctors advise against flying in the first trimester is because that is when there is greatest risk of miscarriage. It is not that the flight itself is likely to cause miscarriage, just that if it does happen , it can be more traumatic for a woman who is away from home, in an unfamiliar hospital, new doctor etc. etc. There are some high risk pregnancies when they advise against flying at any stage.
    Last edited by mum of 2; 06-25-2007 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Typos

Quote Originally Posted by mum of 2 View Post
    tzechuk, I think the reason that some doctors advise against flying in the first trimester is because that is when there is greatest risk of miscarriage. It is not that the flight itself is likely to cause miscarriage, just that if it does happen , it can be more traumatic for a woman who is away from home, in an unfamiliar hospital, new doctor etc. etc. There are some high risk pregnancies when they advise against flying at any stage.
    And this is how controversies begin.

You see, from what I've read and been told, first trimester miscarriage isn't something that can be prevented - well yes, OK. If you get hit on the tummy or if you have a particularly traumatic experience, physically or emotionally, then sure, you can have a miscarriage that way. But most first tri. miscarriages occur naturally and I really don't believe that flying is going to cause you to lose your baby IF you are really meant to have him/her.

Except, of course, as you said - high risk pregnancies should avoid it. But they should avoid most things anyhow.

Exactly, like I said above - it's not that the flight will cause m/c, it's that if one is going to happen anyway, doctors are concerned that not ebing at homw wnd with familiar facilities/doctors etc. just increases the stress.

But that's the thing - whether you are stressed or not makes no difference.

My own dad died when I was 11 weeks along. That in itself was stressful enough. I had/have a demanding job that meant that I could only get away for 4 days max. So within 4 days, I flew from Incheon, South Korea to London Heathrow (13 hours non-stop), then another 3 hours up North to home.

So if stress was meant to cause miscarriage or to contribute towards it, I think a lot of women would have a miscarriage.

What I am saying is that stressed or not - if it's going to happen, it will. Flying and stress won't cause it to happen.

At least that is what I believe in.

The stress is NOTHING to do with causing the miscarriage; it is that the doctors do not want to make it any more traumatic than it has to be, if it is going to happen anyway. They are referring to the stress of dealing with the miscarriage AFTER it has happened; whether you have surgery or let it happen by itself, it is stressful and can be very traumatic for many women. Therefore, their point is that if you are going to have to go through this, it is that bit tougher on women who are in an alien environment (having to find a new hospital, new doctor etc.). i.e. they are not advising against travel or flying per se, just cautioning that if something is going to go wrong, it will and it is easier to cope in an environment and with people with whom you are familiar.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123