Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Flying and pregnancy

Canucker is offline Registered User

Flying and pregnancy

Hi All,

I was hoping some people might be able to share their experiences about flying while pregnant.

My husband and I plan to go back to Canada in late July returning early August - I will be just be at the end of 31 weeks and will return before I am 35 weeks pregnant. I just checked out the Cathay website and they allow woment to fly with single pregnancies up to 36 weeks - provided they have a doctor's note.

But now I have friends filling my head with stories about how "their co-worker went to 2 doctors and they were not allowed to fly after 20 weeks and there is no way I will be allowed to fly" and "doctor's here won't let women fly."

I am 13 weeks along and have had no problems so far - not even morning sickness. Now I am aware things can change down the road, but if anything is going to get me worked up and stressed out it is not being allowed to fly home to see my family who I have not seen in a year. My husband and I booked our holidays before we got pregnant and have have booked a cottage where both sides of the family (from oppositie ends of the country) are meeting for 3 weeks.

Has anyone else flown in their 7th and 8th months? Are doctor's ok about giving permission to fly if you have had a "normal" pregnancy?

Thanks!
    Hopefully stressed over nothing.... Canucker

carang is offline Registered User
    why don't you ask your doctor here to give you a note that covers both directions. if as you say, you have had an uneventful pregnancy so far, then he should be able to accomodate that request.

just have the note saying that you have permission to fly between such and such dates. and that you are required to be back in HK by a certain date.

good luck!

drcookie is offline Registered User
    Good Luck Canucker,

the problem is even though things are uneventful they can become so very quickly. I speak having just spent 4 nights in hospital at 28+ weeks. It may be that one way is fine, but you get stuck. As long as this isn't a problem then you will probably be able to get a doctors note. Remember by 31 weeks you will be on 2weekly antenatal appointments in case anything happens.

Hope you sort everything out.

SoLong is offline Registered User
    My doctor allowed me to travel since the first day of my pregnancy. Though she did mention that IF anything goes wrong (which you cannot predict), I should see a doctor immediately. So we ended up not travelling for the first trimester (though we had an expensive vacation booked in Cape Town). Everybody tells me that one should avoid any heavy travel during the first and third trimester. Then again, it is your doctor who can judge better. Talk to him/her and get a note accordingly. Don't forget every pregnancy is unique.
    :cheerlead Almost time!!!!!!

Matty is offline Registered User
    I travelled through my pregnancy until my 32 week.
    As I had no complications my doctor gave me a note no problem.

His only advice was, don't travel unless you are prepared to give birth at your destination should something go wrong.

Flying was fine, though more tiring and uncomfortable than usual towards the end.
    I did notice that he kicked like crazy on descent. I guess he noticed all the pressure changes, which did make me a little nervous.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    I travelled right through my pregnancy, each month til 36 weeks. You can check each airlines policy. I suggest having a doctor's note or evidence of how far along you are- otherwise they can say you 'look' further along and can't fly.

Travelling at that late stage gets uncomfortable. I could hardly move my stomach was so big!

woodk6 is offline Registered User
    I flew from LAX to HKG at 31 weeks. I had a Dr's note giving me permission but Cathay didn't even check it! Anyway, I was VERY uncomfortable even in business class - just FYI. You're just going to have to play it by ear until then however, see how the pregnancy goes and then you and your Dr can decide if it's a good idea.

Canucker is offline Registered User
    Thanks everyone for the great advice.

You are all right, I will just have to see how I am down the road - if I have any complications at all I will not fly - but if I feel okay I hope the doctor gives me the okay as well.

The cottage we have rented for 3 weeks is about 45min -1 hour away from a hospital so if I did have trouble or go into early labour I would be prepared to give birth back in Canada.

I will chat with my doctor at my next appointment just so they know I hope to go back to Canada for 3 weeks.

Best,
    Canucker

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast