Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

sleeping on stomach

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User

sleeping on stomach

My baby has been sleeping on his back since birth. Recently he experimented sleeping on his sides and yesterday he turned over and sleep on his stomach for the first time. Tried to turn him back on his back but he wouldn't fall asleep until he's on his tummy. Is this safe?

jools is offline Registered User
    Our health visitor in the UK said that once the baby can turn over onto their tummy themselves then it's OK, so when our first child started doing it I wasn't concerned and didn't try to turn him over again. I hope that helps.

Jools

joannek is offline Registered User
    yes, once the baby can turn himself around to sleep on his tummy, it mean that when he can't breath he'll be able to turn to breath.

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User
    jools and joannek, thanks! My boy has been sleeping on his tummy for the last 2 days. He seems to enjoy it. It's reassuring to learn that this is safe for babies who can roll over. I will monitor him more often though, just to be sure he's breathing alright!

Mootje is offline Registered User
    My son (6 months) does exactly the same!

joannek is offline Registered User
    well, one bad news today on the paper. there was a boy who was 5 mths, just turned on his tummy with all his might. the grandma checked him 1 hr later & he was suffocating on his pillow.......

so the experts say, no pillows, no thick blankets. my personal choice is the angelcare monitor, which monitors his breathing, plus one camera monitor and grobag. my husband & i were a bit paranoid, so i have 2 cameras (one for her rm, one for her bed), and 2 baby monitors (one for the helper, one for me).

jools is offline Registered User
    Absolutely no pillows! Babies aren't supposed to have pillows until they're a year old at least. It scares me that things aren't common knowledge. There isn't a problem with the baby rolling onto it's tummy as long as they're just laying flat on a sheet. We also don't allow anything else in the bed like cuddly toys until they're older either, since they could grab it in the night and get themselves into difficulties.

nursie is offline Registered User
    I couldn't imagine not using the Angelcare with my baby. It somehow puts my mind at ease during the night when there isn't much noice in the house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast