Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Eczema

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User
    Found a useful site about eczema...

http://www.rch.org.au/derm/eczema.cfm?doc_id=4596

mummybee is offline Registered User
    WARNING: be careful of using aveeno oatmeal cos gluten (ie wheat oatmeal barley etc) is one of the most allergenic foods. I tried oatmeal moisturiser on my daughter shortly after birth and she broke out in one of the most horrible rashes ever; we seriously thought she had measles. Now we know why - she is allergic to wheat and oatmeal... so do a patch test first and make sure there is no reaction

pianokc is offline Registered User
    as unbelievable as this may sound, my dermatolagist and pediatrician said during the first year, Baby having eczema, or other skin irriations are very normal, almost all babies get it one time or another, especially in tropical places like Hong Kong.

His suggestion was to DO NOTHING. Don't put steroid, or other creams, DO LESS, it would heal faster and would not have after effects AFTER baby is older than 1 year old.

It's SO true. I left the eczema breakout alone, other than using a good moisturizer and using a shower gel for baby that he recommended. Then nothing. Just resist from doing anything..... yes it looks ugly, but it is better not to do anything than to fiddle and try a lot of creams and remedies.

Baby's skin gets better after 1 year old. Holds true for BOTH of my children. He scolded me for : "because you as the mother CANNOT stand the sight of the ugliness/not so perfect skin on your baby, you are damaging and adding more problems to your baby's skin and health by fiddling and trying all sorts of products and medications!"

Of course, if baby's skin is infected, it needs attention. He said as long as it is not infected, don't touch it other then wash and moisturize.

Hope it helps some of you frustrated and worried mothers.

BIODERMA is what I am using, works wonderfully.

ELT
    pianokc,

how did you deal with the itch? I hate to use steroid cream, but that's the only thing that can stop his itch, otherwise, he would scratch his face and head until he bleeds.

mummybee is offline Registered User
    ELT, good question and awaiting pianokc's reply. I have hoped I need to do nothing too but the incessant scratching, combined with the thick rubbery skin, means I can't help but do something to relieve it. I think what pianokc means is that if your child's eczema is mild or borderline case, you can ignore it and it will go away soon enough. And I do see many of such cases - slight redness on cheeks or one small rough patch on chin/cheek/forehead/elbow that doesn't seem to bother the child more than the parents who yearn for flawless abby skin. But it is a completely ball-game for kids with recurrent eczema flare-ups or with eczema so bad they scratch till skin breaks. In your case, ELT, your son's condition seems to belong to the latter category. Even my daughter's condition, which I thought is serious, doesn't induce her to scratch till she bleeds. My paed told me that I am compromising my daughter's life and wellbeing if I ignore it as she spends more time scratching than playing and it is keeping her awake at night. If a child does not feed and sleep well cos of the eczema, he/she will not put on weight (from reading your link. What a great article and I am trying the wet dressing treatment mentioned in the article soon).

As a side note, if your son is scratching till skin bleeds, have you considered bringing him to the allergist?

joannek is offline Registered User
    pianokc, which ped do you go to? sound like my kind of ped.

ELT
    We have seen 2 Pd and recently got referred to a Dermatologist. All 3 docs said the baby is likely to outgrow it by 2 years of age and that we should just accept eczema is not something that can be healed, and baby is going to have flare ups until he is older. They all reassured us that it's safe to use steroid cream and we SHOULD use it to minimize discomfort. They all object to changing formula because in our case, 'weather' is the obvious culprit. My son did scratch himself to bled the first time he had flare ups but that was back then. Since we found out it was eczema we treat it with steroid cream so he doesn't scratch that hard anymore though we still have to keep the mits on at night and make sure his room is cool.

BTW, we tried wet compression yesterday. It worked!

sourcing is offline Registered User
    Regarding to the wet dressing method, will it be good in the long run? I heard one chinese friend told me always wipe your hands dry after you wash your hand to prevent "wind" in later years. I saw my own grandpa suffer from "wind" around the arms. It was so painful

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast