Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Eczema

YKY
    YKY is offline Registered User
    My 6 mo. old son has eczema. I have a question regarding how to wash baby's clothes and blankets. Do you handwash everything? What brand of detergent do you use? My son's dermatologist suggested we use the washer but hand rinse because the rinse cycle doesn't really rinse. Sure enough the water is cloudy and looks like there's a lot of residue on the clothes. But, it's really hard work rinsing everything...

He said it was ok to use the dryer but I feel that there's so much lint. I line dry using a dehumidifier which is not the most efficient. What are your experiences?

mummybee is offline Registered User
    I use Dreft from Gateway (Sheung Wan) as it was recommended to me by someone else. I used Pigeon detergent before but my daughter reacted to it - don;t know why. Re rinsing, I do include an extra rinse cycle when we wash our daughter's clothes and not only that, we put 1/3 to 1/2 the recommended amt (ie instead of 1 cup detergent, we use 1/3 or 1/2 cup depending on how soiled the load is) and it rinses really well. I only buy cotton clothing that are not thick as eczema skin overheats so don't overdress your child. even in winter i dressed my daughter lightly and was often told by "grandmas" that I am not a good mum as she will catch a cold!

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User
    We use liquid detergent (powder is more difficult to dissolve) and wash by machine. That include bedsheets and the helper's clothings.

ELT
    mummybee, totally feel for you (regarding dressing baby lightly). I've had strangers in public transport and lifts literally 'telling' me to put something on my baby!

ELT
    Sourcing

Good point -- I was also a bit concerned when I put a wet towel (cool compression) over my baby's neck and head but that was quite effective in easing his itch. Perhaps another way of achieving same effect is to put something cool (not necessarily wet) over the affected area?

YKY
    YKY is offline Registered User
    Thanks as always for your advice, Mummybee. Must try that detergent. Do you use the dryer?

ELT, what is the brand of detergent you use? and, do you use the dryer? I've been line drying with a dehumidifier but even that gets difficult in HK humid weather...

ELT
    It read 'D-nee' on the label. A friend recommended it, bought in Thailand so not sure if it's available here. But anyways, the key is to use something mild and not stick to the fabric so most liquid detergent for baby clothes should be ok. We set the washing machine to rinse 4 times also. We don't use dryer, just dehumdifier on humid days. I guess it's ok to use dryer as long as you don't dry the baby's clothes together with those that contain wool or agents that may trigger eczema.

Matty is offline Registered User
    I guess it won't apply to every childs excema, but my son is highly allergic to dust mites.
    We recently bought a new washing machine which is more effective at heating the water properly ( water must be at least 60 c to kill dust mites ) and has made the world of difference.
    We also use Persil which you can buy at Wellcome, I use half the dosage suggested.

My husband excema is caused by the same allergies, so we are fortunate to know what already works for us.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast