Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Bottle Rejection??

jaetee is offline Registered User

Bottle Rejection??

My 10 week old has been exclusively breastfed, but we did give her expressed breast milk a few times a week in a bottle. After her 8-week vaccine/check up, she decided to reject the bottle (well she took one bottle that evening, but refused the next day).

When she sees the bottle she starts crying/protesting. We have tried feeding her when she is hungry, when she is full, when she is tired. My husband is the one who gives the bottle. We have also tried changing the bottle and nipple brand, and have tried using a medicine dropper for an alternative method, but still she has refused these. She will only breastfeed directly.

I need to leave her sometimes for a few hours and dont want her to go hungry. Any advice please?

Thank you.

AndreaY is offline Registered User
    Don't know if this helps, but I breastfed my baby from the start, but my husband gave her bottled breastmilk 10pm (for bonding reasons). After about 3 months, she decided that she did not want daddy feeding her the bottle. It was ok if I/helper fed her the bottle, it just happened that she did not like the position that my husband held her when feeding, dunno whether it's to do with different height, weight etc.. Perhaps you can try feeding her the bottle yourself to see whether the reason is cos your baby does not like the bottle or just your husband feeding it?

Thanks for the advice. Both my husband and my mother in law have tried with no success. I thought the mom was not supposed to bottle feed the baby if breastfeeding?

joannek is offline Registered User
    well my baby would NEVER take a bottle from me at home, but she would outside of home. have you tried bringing her outside of your home to give her the bottle? or feed her in the living rm instead of her rm, etc....

btw, jaetee, do you still have breast infection? sorry i didn't saw your pm earlier. i hope you have recovered.

hi joanne,
    hubby and mil did try giving the bottle in the living room - my baby wont even sleep in her room during the day, we definitely wouldnt attempt a bottle feed in there. ;)

i responded to your pm. :)

thanks. :)