Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Homeopathy for eczema

EmmaTam is offline Registered User
    Hi jacoby

sorry I have not replied sooner.

I gave meat at 9 months. The HK doctor told me not to give until after 1 year.UK saidbaby should have a normal diet from six months.

I only use hydocotazone or (however you spell) it nothing else works. I try to use as little as possible and I am never able to get rid of the patches only keep under control.

I've tried so many creams but I think they are all much the same. The best ones I now use are QV creams and lotions Oilatum bath oil and vaselene.

I've never bothered with skin prick tests. Before one year they will all be inacurate and he has to have already been exposed to that food to have a reaction. Before one year his diet was so limited what would be the point. Now I am introducing more foods I may consider doiong tests in the future but everyone tells me his skin will be better again at a year and a half and then better again at two years so lets see what happens first.

I've also been in touch with other eczema sufferers inUK and most of them do at some stage control the eczema with diet and emmolients but however careful they are many times the eczema comes back for no reason.

Right now I really beleive if my son is as healthy and strong as possible his skin will be better.

jacoby is offline Registered User
    hi Emmatam. i agree that no amount of emollients and diet restriction control eczema, at least in my son's case. that makes it all the more frustrating! my son's eczema worsened before i introduced solids despite vigilant application of emollients. yes, only steroids keep the eczema at bay but it comes back with a vengeance!

you mentioned that for a time, you were feeding your son chicken and pork(?) bec he wasnt not reacting to them. how were you able to tell? the reason i'm considering skin prick test is bec i cant tell if he's reacting to the food as his rashes never truly disappear. the dr tells me to re-introduce the food 3x watching for the symptoms of allergy. but with the way his rashes appear so frequently, he'ld be 10 by the time i finish introducing all solids! honestly, it's so confusing! everyone tells me to jst give him anything except nuts, wheat, seafood since the rashes come back anyway even if he's just on extensively-hydrolysed milk!

anyway, my neocate finally arrived. i'm not sure if it will work and dont know what to do if it doesnt stop the eczema:-(

i guess time is our friend!

p.s. what is delayed allergic reaction anyway? does it even apply to our babies who have daily rashes? :-(

EmmaTam is offline Registered User
    Hi jacoby

I also have no idea of the time it takes for the allergies to occur. One doctor told me in UK that if there is an allregic reaction you will see in 20 mins. As my sons face has a permanent rash I am like you in that you never really know if there is a reaction. The same doctor also said that as the eczema returned continually with the use of strong steroids that I should cut the use of them completely. That is why I am now only using hydracortoizone. My sons eczemz was worse after 3 months old and after 7 months old I can only guess that these were growth periods and perhapse he was weeker in that time.

as i am writing this, my son's eczema seems to be returning again after 4 days of rest fr steroids :-( i fed him sweet potatoes yesterday and today 2 red spots appeared on his arm and some pink spots on his thigh. are sweet potatoes notorious for causing allergies? or is the eczema returning on its own and feeding him sweet potatoes was just a coincidence? sigh! i was wishing for a longer rest fr steroids but i guess it was not to be...

mummybee is offline Registered User
    Hi everybody,

Sorry I haven't been active these days. Since my last post, I have fallen pregnant, re-located to Singapore, flew home to Australia to give birth, settled my daughter (yes the allergic one) to preschool, and full-time breastfeeding the new baby, a sweet-natured girl who is .......big big sigh....free from allergies (at least not to my breastmilk).

Want to answer your questions, jacoby. i don't use specific shampoo; just sth for hair and body. I have used safely: QV wash, Mustela wash and Huggies wash.

My daughter reacts to sweet potato. don't think it is allergy per se cos onyl her mouth itches but was told eczema skin may jsut be more sensitive to saps eg from mango, yam etc. She is definitely allergic to potato though.

Emma, I am so glad your son is getting better. totally agree each case is unique and for some it is food-related and others, causes are less clear. And yes, it is hereditary (I am a geneticist btw). My husband has many allergies and he went for skin prick test and confirmed that he has EXACT same allergies as our daughter, ie eggs, potato, pork to name a few.

for me, I just KNEW that W's allergies were food-related. Call it mother instinct.

Now that W is older, I do see a change in rash development which I would like to share hopefully might be useful to you. When W was a baby, her rashes developed much like how all of you described - random spots on trunk and limbs, upper lip redness from drool esp bad during teething, random day attacks which do not seem to tie with specific food intake, and rashes returned once steriod usage stops. From about 1.5 yrs on, rash attacks were less frequent and longer steroid-rest periods, but attacks still random. Steriod use greatly reduced, food intake didn't change much. About 2 yrs, pattern changed. No more rashes UNLESS she takes a particular food. When they do appear, they appear within minutes (seconds to 10mins) after food intake and they almost scarily popped out like popcorns on her skin. Her face first then move downwards to her extremities.

My experience is that the rashes become more predictable and also controllable. If I give her Zrytec (fast-acting) within mins, I can arrest rash from moving downwards to her body. generally rashes stop at neck level. It is totally weird but totally true!

Actually, what do you mums think abt giving your child anti-histamine instead of steroids? On reflection, I feel if I were to turn back the clock, I would have preferred giving her Zrytec than dousing her with steroid (yes I did use the strongest Elocon for the longest time!) - the lesser of two evils?

I also want to say to you all not to despair. I can't remember how old your children are (except for Emma's) but please believe me when I say things DO get better as your child grows and his/her immune system builds up. For me, I can safely say the "worst" period is over for me and for W. Now that she is 3, she's able to TELL me when her mouth feels funny and itchy (she says it tingles) and when her tummy aches (I never know this!).

Her allegies get better each passing birthday. Had skin prick test last mth and was cleared of nuts and fish. I didn't believe so doc let her eat peanut butter with adrenalin tank next to us.

I hope things get better for you all soon. if i can of any help pls let me know.

mummybee is offline Registered User
    Jocaby, I forgot to ask is your son affected by his rashes? ie is he disturbed / pained by the rashes? For my daughter she used to develop blistery spots on her tummy when she had cheese of Kraft brand and eventhough they looked painful to ME, she said they are nothing - not itchy or painful. Again on reflection, had I been too quick to put steroid on her during the baby days?

little mum is offline Registered User
    My daughter has rashes as well, she keep scratching for all night long. My friend in Australia recommended a Cherub Rubs soothing and this product stops her from scratching. It is an organic product, so i think it helps. you may want to try it.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast