Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Homeopathy for eczema

sprawld is offline Banned
    hi jacoby, my son seems to react to sweet potato too!! I just tried papaya and it almost gave him instant rashes.. at my wits end.. using steriods almost everyday and it only manages to keep it slightly under control... am using oilatum to bathe and DML lotion as a moisturizer.. anyone has any other ideas or advice?

jacoby is offline Registered User
    sorry for the long silence but it's so gooood to hear from all of you! mummybee, congratulations on your new baby. and what a relief and blessing that he/she doesnt have eczema!

i just want to say that everything you said is true! things do get better when they turn 1. my son's eczema improved dramatically when he turned 1. his rashes diminished in coverage though it was still coming and going for no reason. we were still using steroids (betamethasone) frequently. but what truly made a big difference was NEOCATE. we were able to get hold of some cans fr abroad (it is not avail in my country) and tried it. the rashes simply retreated in 2 days. it was truly remarkable. he's been on neocate for about 3 months now. he still has rashes but they're small patches, so much fewer in coverage and controlleable by low strength steroids. he sleeps well at night and takes scheduled naptimes now. his mood has improved so much. i keep hitting my head for not trying neocate earlier. i cannot believe that the doctors here were discouraging me from giving my son neocate (he was taking alfare, an extensively hydrolyzed formula) when it was the only one that made such a huge difference in his eczema. i must say, though, that i'm still a bit baffled by whether he reacts to the food we're giving. i cannot seem to categorically pinpoint whether he is intolerant (as opposed to allergic) to a certain food. and i take comfort in your observations, mummybee, that by the time he is 2, the rashes will develop in a more predictable manner. sadly his diet is limited to broccoli, zuchini, bananas, cooked pears, and rice (all organic and homemade).

it's still along way for my son and me and i'm still picking up lessons a long the way. the lesson i've learned is to discover the child's baseline and the only way to do it is to eliminate possible triggers whether food or environmental related. i think i almost lost my mind last year trying to find the baseline. everyone told me i was crazy trying to find it but through neocate, i think we have established it. from there, i was able to see if the new foods i was introducing was causing a reaction. the hard part is having a delayed reaction. mummybee, any advice on this? would appreciate hearing it.

p.s. my sister-in-law who is based in washington, usa has 3 eczema/very allergic children. her children takes zrytec daily (whether there is a reaction or not) as a maintenance drug to prevent development of brochial asthma according to her dr. for allergic reactions (hives, edema), she gives them benadryl and elocon for bad flare-ups. for rough, bumpy skin, she applied acid mantle compounded with 1% hydrocortisone. she uses aquaphor as the emollient. i'm trying the same regime. my dr prescribed zadec (asmafen) for bad flare-ups. i try not to give this due to the side effects. has anyone heard about this drug?

goranpo is offline Registered User
    i want to share my experience in using homeopathy on my two kids. I have two kids, one aged 5.5 & other aged 3. The elder one has eczema almost since birth & the younger just have it when he was 2.5 years old.

I started to use homeopathy for my younger one two months ago. Homeopathy is very new to me, though i love the concept very much. The eczema started on the foot and arm areas first and then spreaded to the face & the new body. The moment he had the eczema, the nose was very itchy and mucuse (very watery) was also coming out. I visited both the GP and Chinese practitioner. The former seemed not very effective because after finishing the whole course of medicine, the problem was still there though the symptoms were a little bit relieved. I then turned to the herbal medicine, however, my son could never take a drop of it. I heard the concept of homeopathy from my brother who lived in Germany & decided to have a try on this.

What my son was taking were sulphur & symbioflor 1, the reaction was that he poo more, sleep better & the nose problem was relieved, appetite getting better after taking two days of remedies. In the first two weeks after taking the remedies, her skin was peeling off, however, her nose was getting better & better, appetite still good, sleep better. After these two weeks, his skin has been back to normal, just have some problem with the fold of the arms & feets.

With this encouraging result, I tried this on my daugher who had taken herbal medicines for four months. Of course, before this, she was taking western medicines on and off. To me, she was really good taking the herbals, however, it's really not easy for a little girl to take herbals for a long time.

She has been using homeo remedies for more that a month. Honestly, the result so far is not very satisfactory. She got flare-up especially on the face, fold of arms & feets. It's very painful for me to see her suffering but I really hope that homeopathy can help. The positive side is that she can poo better & the nose problem has a little bit relieved. What she is taking now is sulphur, seal oil, symbioflor & Udo 3.6.9 Oil.

Hopefully, these flare-ups can be gone very fast. I hope to hear some more successful cases which encourge me to continue homepathy on my elder daughter.

mummybee is offline Registered User
    Hi Jacoby, so lovely to hear from you and most of all, soooo happy for both your son and yourself that things are getting better! I certainly know how you feel.

My daughter's eczema cleared dramatically as well once we switched her to Pepti Junior. Your son must have been the 1% group which cannot even tolerate extensively hydrolysed formula! thankfully he can still take neocate. And well done to you that he does like drinking it. Neocate and Pepti are known to be very unpalatable. I had such horrible memories of conditioning my daughter to it.

Perhaps best to steer clear of dairy - milk and milk-derived products - for the moment as he seems quite allergic to milk? My daughter outgrows her milk allergy sometime before her 2nd birthday. So hang in there. I cried when she had her small piece of cheese and promptly declared it the most delicious food in the world. She also reacted more to Kraft brand of cheeses.

For delayed reactions, these, I find, too to diminish as my daughter gets older. But I remain cautious even now. For her, delayed reactions can take two forms: (1) rashes only appear 2-3 days later as is true for cauliflower; or (2) rashes appear immediately and continue to develop over course of 3 days as is true for eggs (I call this "my worst nightmare reaction").

Knowing this, I would only test ONE new food in a given week, in increasing dosage. As an example, Day 1: rub minute amt of food on lips; if no bad reaction, let her consume 1cm size. Day 2: same food but 1.5cm size. Day 3: same food but 2cm size. No new foods / no visit to new places over these 3 test days plus next 3 days.

If absolutely no rxn - incorporate into regular diet.
    If minor or un-bothersome rxn - incorporate only small amt once a week/fortnight

I will not be too overconcerned abt delayed rxns. Almost certainly these rxns, when they come, are not severe and don't seem to affect my daughter's mood. The worse delayed reaction we got is one bout of vomiting and one day of diarrhoea a day after eating pork and drinking marigold milk.

With homeopathy, I haven't re-visited this path since our bad experience when my daughter was one year old. I will let others share their positive experiences.

mummybee, so wonderful to have your quick reply and as always, your invaluable advice/inputs. as i always tell my husband, most of the information that have proven useful and beneficial to me came from this forum. have been contemplating on re-challenging my son's reaction to meat. he broke out in hives when we gave him lamb when he was about 1 and 3 mos old. i was thinking turkey or beef? and do i have to try organic turkey/beef? i shall use your "plan" of introducing new foods and will keep you posted on the results. i hope we will be as "lucky" as you are in the relative speed with which your daughter outgrew her food allergies/intolerances.

i did consider bringing my son to a chinese herbalist but balked at the idea. i was just too terrified at the thought of applying/feeding my son herbs that i was totally unfamiliar with. i thought it just might do more harm than good. homeopathy was something i never considered. although i heard that there are positive results on probiotics for eczema children? i have yet to find a totally dairy-free probiotics brand though. till then, we will have to cautiously find more foods to incude in my son's limited repertoire.

mummybee: did you bring an epi-pen with you when you travelled with your daughter and what age was she when you started travelling with her? and if you can think of any ideas/advice on how to introduce new foods for our allergic/intolerant children, would very much appreciate it!

mummybee is offline Registered User
    Yes, Jacoby, during the time when W was allergic to nuts (outgrew when turned 3), we dare not go anywhere without epi-pen. Thank God we never use it.

To be honest, we dare not go for holidays until she was 2.5 where we had to go to Manila to attend my brother-in-law's wedding. What a nightmare. Cos she is not allowed to take outside food, we had to scout for a clean serviced apt and bring own steamer and cooker. Even so she had three major episodes of eye gland swelling and face turning tomato coloured and until this day we don't know what caused the reactions.

Unusual your son's rxn to lamb. It is the least allergic foods known. I would totally recommend you re-try. I used to buy lamb strips from Citysuper, the ones air-flown fresh never frozen they are not cheap but fantastic for the little ones!

I did use to buy everything organic from Citysuper and 360 but when W turned 2 and rxns become lesser, I forgo organic but still ensure I don't get anything from China.

I also recommend you google for food lists that tell you what are the least and most allergenic foods. I find it extremely useful. eg I have never given W strawberry and orange families cos they are known to commonly cause severe rxns.

For meats, this is the order I go with success: chicken, turkey, lamb. I find turkey only in Citysuper. They are not tasty though, quite chewy. I tried pork next but she had diarrhoea. Plan to re-try 6 mths later. last was beef. she was allergic to it at 1.5 yrs old (mouth swollen) but at 2.5 years old, ok. She loves beef now. Some old chinese ladies in a restaurant told me not to give beef and duck too early - dunno why - but I listened.

For fish, a mummy in this forum told me to try sole fish - again Citysuper has it but not all the time - and I did with great success. All other fish W was allergic to until 3.

Allergist also said to give TINNED tuna when W turned 1.5 yrs old to compensate for calcium that she wasn't taking from dairy. There is no one known allergic to tinned tuna so I would say go for it. But do read ingredient list cos some tinned tuna has soy or broth/msg added.

I have forgotten to mention there is a great dairy-free, nut-free margarine spread called Nuttlelex. I am not sure who stocks it now in HK but it tastes like butter and works in making cakes/biscuits.

BTW, waht oil, if any, are you using? W used to mildly react to olive oil (esp the good cold-pressed ones) we used sunflower / safflower oil - also Citysuper - with success. It took us ages to figure out re olive oil rxn!!

oops, baby is crying. gotto run..

thank you, thank you mummybee. your list is quite comprehensive. i will take your them under very serious consideration. i was going to try a teeny weeny beef soup in a week or two but maybe i should re-challenge lamb or maybe organic turkey. will report back on results. wish me luck!

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast