Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Homeopathy for eczema

KurtsMummy is offline Registered User

6 1/2 month old son has eczema...

Hey!
    Awesome to finally find a forum of moms who've been through eczema.. i've been googling for 5 months! Our son has ups and downs and i'm starting to think it is a matter of time PLUS finding what he is reacting to. It is an obvious sensitivity. Fully breastfed baby.. tried formula but he is allergic to both soy and cows.. which is fine i dont mind to keep breastfeeding. We've been to every doctor in town.. and they all say the same thing (they grow out of it here is some steroid cream so you feel like you are doing something) We have a great homeopathic store in town with lots of advice. Tried Mayan Magic (made from a tree in mexico.. worked wonders for a while) Best thing is bath and then lathered in organic olive oil. Serious flare ups are unfortunatley treated with steriods. Found that most of his flareups were at night. Tried sleeping off of the baby mattress ( just generic sears or walmart kind) didnt make a difference, got organic cotton sheets .. seems to be working. Also using an Arbonne baby cream (swiss) to help with the dry itchy skin. Now that he's 6 months old have been using Lymphatic drops (his lymph nodes on the back of neck and under ears are always huge) these have helped the swelling, not completely but marked improvement after 4 days. Also Apis Mel, its in pill form for itchy, red, swelling, bee stings etc. just dissolved in water and given to him. it seems to be helping.
    Hope this has shared some more information. I've appreciated reading yours although i have no idea what a IMI is lol.

joannek is offline Registered User
    IMI is a naturopathic clinic in Hong Kong. imi.com.hk, but if you' live in Canada, i'm sure you can find a reputable homepath where you live. they're quite popular in canada too.

piglet008 is offline Registered User
    i'm so happy to find this forum! No one understands our situation better than you guys cause it just sounds so similar!

My son has very bad eczema when he was 9mth-1.5yrs old. We changed so many milk from A+, soy milk, japs milk, PJ and finally on Neocate. His eczema improved with wet wrap and on Neocate. After skin prick test at allergist at 1 yrs old, he has severe reaction to egg white, peanut and mild reaction to soy and neg reaction to milk and wheat. I was told milk may have delayed reaction.

However, at 1.5yrs old, i gave him a Heinz teething rusks which stated egg-free and main ingredient is wheat and milk powder. I gave him one bite... then after an hour, he vomit and cried fiercely with a flushed face and hives for several hours. I didn't know this is an allergic reaction cause i only know about eczema

a month later, i gave him some macaroni and ingredient is just wheat. i gave him a little macaroni and.. after an hour, he vomits and started turning blue. This time we rushed him to the hosp and from this painful experience, i learnt it is called anaphylaxis.

He'll be turning 2 this month, and i recently changed to pregestimil (cause Neocate adv was out of stock) and to my surprise, he takes it with no additional ecz. He still have small flare ups weekly but it improved dramatically from last year.

i want to find out whether i should do a prick test again or the blood test to check on wheat again? However, he has been on a gluten-free diet since the macaroni incident as i'm still very scare :p

i'm so happy we have this forum!!

piglet008 is offline Registered User
    mummybee, 1st congrat on your newborn!
    You said W's nut and fish allergy was cleared. can i ask if W's allergy was previously severe to nuts and fish? and did u say she was allergic to wheat before too? is there a reading chart or sthm to know if it is severe or not?

many thx for your sharing. i feel hopeless and don't know how to help my son except to eat the limited food we prepare at home. To this point, i still haven't brought him out to dine out. My son will be turning 2 this month and it upsets me he can't have any of the fancy birthday cakes (cause it'll have wheat and egg). I'll prepare a simple one for him, hoping he'll be happy and healthy

Little Giant is offline Registered User
    you can try balance health. they help find out intolerances and get rid of them.

mummybee is offline Registered User
    Hi Piglet008, sorry to hear about your son. I didn't receive a notification of your message so sorry for this late reply. I hope you are still checking this thread.

A while has passed since you messaged but I will answer your concerns nevertheless:
    (1) Do repeat skin prick test yearly or 2 yearly. The results can and do change. Some allergies, your son may have outgrown; and some allergies, he may develop (though this applies to a minority group of kids). As an example, W my daughter outgrown her nut allergy by age 3 but just two weeks ago at her 4th year skin prick test, she has become extremely allergic to nuts. She had an analyphztic shock inhaling peanut butter we had to go to Emergency. I was told the blood test is highly inaccurate but I know some mums prefer this to skin prick test.

Seems your son may be extremely allergic to wheat or gluten or certain grains judging from the turning blue symptom. As such, I suggest you really google or read on this as there is a clear distinction between wheat vs gluten vs certain grain allergy. Very confusing. Eg., W is allergic to many grains - barley, rye, oats, corn, buckwheat - but oddly enough, NOT to wheat. This means she is not allergic to gluten per se as she can take wheat. Perhaps others in this forum can educate us on this.

With fish allergy, yes, W was allergic to "healthy fish" like salmon and tuna but ok after aged ~3 or so. She still midly reacts to cod with loose bowels.

There is no 'reading chart" per se, I don't think. With W's skin prick test, wheal size does not seem to correlate with reaction severity. For example, her peanut wheal was a "7" and cashew wheal was "14" but she seems more reactive to the former. Also, if your child has been on long term zrytec as W is, skin prick test results may be affected.

There are many recipes out there, even for cakes, that are eggfree and wheat-free. Sure they don't taste as good but at least your son can enjoy it alongside his friends. W is 4 and begins to feel she is different. the challenge now is to manage her allergy on the psychological level.

Hope I have answered all your questions. Hope to hear from you and update of your son.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516