Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Homeopathy for eczema

mummybee is offline Registered User
    YKY, check your PM please....
    Last edited by mummybee; 03-27-2007 at 08:10 AM.

glee is offline Registered User
    my son has used neocate since we discovered his cow's milk allergy at 6 months. We simply took the view that we'd prefer not to see him projectile vomit and turn blue every time he has milk which at that time was crucial! Yes, it is very expensive (10 times more than the usual formula) and we get it delivered direct from the distributor. Let me know if you would like contact details?

Nan-HA is a partially-hydrolysed formula and if your son truly has milk allergies, this formula is NOT appropriate for him.

I have a pamplet from Australasian Society of Clinical Immunonology and Allergy (ASCIA) specifically on dairy=milk allergy and patient information which I can photocopy and mail to you if you wish. let me know. Here are some extracts:

"Cow'smilk is a comoon cause of food allergy in infants, but most grow out of this condition and ongoing symptoms in adults are very rare. In Australia and NZ, 1 in 50 babies are allergic to cow's milk and dairy products......Since most children allergic to cow's milk will be allergic to goat's milk products made from goat;s milk are usually not adequate substitutes. After confirming milk allergy, your doctor will usually recommend replacing dairy products with alternative formulae, which may include:
    (1) Soy protein formula
    around 50-80% of chilren with cow's milk allergy can tolerate soy-base dformulae. In children allergi to soy as well, it is not a suitable substitute"
    (2) Extensively hydrolysed formula
    This is cow's milk -based formula that has been processed to rbeak dwon most of the proteins which cause symptoms in infants who are allergic to cows milk (eg. Alfare, Pepti-Junior). There are usually supplemnts of first choice in milk allergic children. Since some children iwll still react to this formula, sometimes Amino acid based formula is advised. Extensively hydrolysed formula is different to partially hydrolysed formula (eg Nan-HA) and the latter is not suitable for treatment of milk allergic children
    (3) Amino acid based formula
    This formula (eg Neocate, Elecare) is necessary in around 1 in 10 children with cow's milk allergy and is tolerated by amost all chuildren with soy or cow's milk allergies."....

"Children allergic to cow's milk are usually allergic to a no of proteins presnet in diary products. Since similar proteins are present in other animal milks such as goat milk and horse milk these products can also trigger allergic reactions, and should be avoided. Partially enzyme-treated cow's milk formula such as Nan-HA may be used to help prevent infants from developing allergies but they are not suitable to be used as treatment for cow's milk allergic children."...."about 80% of infants will grow out of their allergy by the age of 3 years."...."lactose intolerance is caused by the alck of the enzyme lactase, which helps to digest the milk sugar lactose. The symptoms are diarrhoea, vomiting, stomach pain and gas, which are similar to some of the symptoms of milk allergy. This condition is not dangerous, and does not cuase rashes or anaphylaxis. Treatment may involve reducing or avoiding consumption of dairy products containing lactose and substituting these with a lactose-free dorumla or milk".

Excuse the typos as I cannot touch-type but want to give you all the information!

My daughter takes Pepti-Junior, which is much much cheaper than Neonate. and we didn't try soy formula as our aed allergist told us soy may not be very good for babies due to high oestrogen levels. My suggestion is to go with PJ first before heading neocate since 9 out of 10 kids can tolerate PJ. Cross your fingers you don;t need to go Neocate route. Not only is it more cost saving in the long run, PJ is much much more palatable than neonate. Becuase of the hydrolysing process of breaking down cow's milk proteins, the milk changes taste in such a way that the more hydrolysed a formula is, the more bitter it would taste. Thus, Nan-Ha tastes better than PJ tastes better than Neocate. Becuase of this, Neocate, some years ago when I called them up but not sure if they still do it, adds a little bit of sugar into their milk formula to make babies drink it. They are very conscious of this and are good in making sure the sugar content is in its minimum amt to make it nicer to drink. Whichever you decide to go, it helps to call the dieticians up as they are specific ways to make the milk to make it less bitter. For isntance, I never mix my daugheter's milk with BM - I did and gosh, it acquired a third taste; I make it lukewarm to warmer than I would with normal formula as this would "kill" the bitter taste just a little bit; and I never prepared PJ 15mins longer than consumption as PJ taste goes downhill when left at room temperature, and i don't pour hot water directly onto formula as this will again makes it taste funny. Your baby may mor may not take to the taste initially. Some babies drink it like nobody's business, but mine didn't like it at first cos she is used to my BM. The earlier you start, the better as they know no better. It is an acquired taste, and honestly I can't stand PJ. But my daughter now loves it. I recently start to re-introduce cow's milk into her diet and she gave me the yuck look as she is not accustomed to the yummy taste of full cream milk (but sadly she still reacted to 2 teasps of cow's milk so we are back onto PJ).

Let me know if I can help in any way.
    MB

nikkyliu is offline Registered User
    Hi, joannek

Please check your pm, thanks

joannek is offline Registered User
    nikkyliu, sent you a pm. pls check. =)

Glee, one question that can't wait until our lunch date: you mentioned you switched doctor and he gave you course of medication and cream for your son. Mind if I ask what kind of doctor he is - western? chinese? homeopath? and what kind of medication? reason I ask is, by serenpedity, I gave my daughter zyrtec due to a nasty reaction to an insect bite on her ear making it swelled up so badly that she went emergency a couple of months back and noticed not only did the swell subsided but rashes on other parts of her body (not due to insect bite) also cleared significantly. And that is with 1 dose of baby zrytec (5mg/ml given 3ml). Last week she had a mild "accident" at home with eggs - which she is very allergic to - and again one dose of zrytec stopped her itchiness and rashes gone rapidly. Our pead allergist has asked me age ago not to be afraid to use zrytec but like steriods, I resisted giving to my daughter until emergencies occur. Wondering if zrytec is a better way to manage eczema than steriods?? Also waht kind of cream did the doctor gave you? no steriod in them?

firsttimedad is offline Registered User
    Last edited by firsttimedad; 04-04-2007 at 11:39 AM.

nikkyliu is offline Registered User

eczema

Hi, Joannek,

I have bought Ovus Cream yesterday. I want to ask how many times you apply to your child in one day. How long will the skin be recovery. I mean the skin becomes less rash or back to normal. I have applied for three times, but it seems the same.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast