Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

autistic?help!

lynn cheung is offline Registered User

autistic?help!

My son's English teacher just told me today that she suspected that he might be autistic and suggested to take him for some tests.
    She said that:
    - he didn't want to sit for a long time; he usually walked around the classroom during lesson, though he knew all his lesson and answered well
    - he seemed distant; he played by himself and didn't like to make friend or talk to other students
    - sometimes he screamed or took off his shoes
    - he seemed different than other children
    - he didn't make eye contact with her
    - he made some weird noises

I called his Kindermusik teacher and she also said that he didn't like to sit for a long time though he responded well and did well in the class. She promised to observe him next time.

My son is 3 years and 5 months and is in K1. He speaks English and Putonghua at home and learns Cantonese at the school (local kindie).

He can be a bit naughty sometimes but overall he's quite good at home. Sometimes he does things he's not supposed to do just for the fun of it or he laughs about it afterwards. Hey, he's a boy.
    He can sit for an hour when he does things he likes such as playing with playdoh, when I read him a book etc.
    Sometimes he takes off his shoes when we're outside, but not often.

He screams but only once or twice a month last time and I thought this is what he learns from his friends at the school bc he didn't scream before he went to kindie. He only screams a word "chickau" (I don't know what it is).

He's an only child so he doesn't have anybody to play with at home but me. But he can play with my cousins and nephews/nieces for a long time, but they're much older than him though (16 - 23 years old).
    Last year we visited my nieces (5 and 2 years old), he played playdoh on the floor alongside them as he couldn't speak their language, he didn't talk much with them).
    He also a shy child, but he's very friendly once you get to know him and he likes to joke and make people laugh (sometimes with his naughtiness).

He makes eye contact with me when I talk to him. Only when he's too busy playing that he ignores me.

He's bright thought not genius, knows his lessons very well. And I always thought that he's normal.

For the weird noises, he likes to hum and make noises to different tunes he has in his head.
    Last time he hummed to 15 different tunes he made up by himself, pretending that he was a CD player.
    He likes to listen to CD though he doesn't sing much. He knows the words to a lot of songs but he just doesn't sing much.
    He prefers to make up his own tunes/songs and hums and makes some sounds to them.

Do you think he's autistic? Where can I get him tested?

Thanks for the help, sorry a bit long.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    I don't think it's appropriate for any of us to comment on whether your son has autism or not, that's really for a doctor to determine. It might be autism, it might be ADD, it might just be that he's a normal boy! If anything he sounds smart to me and might just be bored at school? It's also important to keep in the mind that not all teachers treat all children the same. My brother was treated very badly by his teacher when he was 6 and my mother was constantly called to the school to be told he had misbehaved etc. It turned out the teacher simply didn't like him but it caused problems for my brother. My mother changed his school and they never had another complaint.

If your son does have autism the sooner you find out the better as you can start treating it. Outcomes are better when there is early intervention.

rani is offline Administrator
    I agree with Aussiegal, there might be something at school that may be upsetting him. My little guy was being bullied at the playgroup he attended. So he kept to himself, and didn't interact with the other kids. His playgroup teacher also told me he had a slew of problems from social to developmental.

We decided to move him to Kindergarten. At 8 weeks, I went in to pick up his first report card and chat with his new teacher. Guess what?? His report card was fine. So it could just be the teacher and environment.

If you'd like to talk to a professional, there is a GeoExpat member, who's a child psychologist and works with autistc kids. I'll drop her PM and maybe you can chat with her.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Thanks Aussiegal&Rani, I'd like to chat with the psychologist.

It's quite shocking for me bc I always thought he's normal and sometimes just shy.
    He's ok with his lessons&homework, academically he's fine.

Another thing, I'm quite afraid that the teacher doesn't like him. Though she said that she let him to sit beside her so he wouldn't walk around so much.

Today he got a red mark on his nose. When I asked him, he didn't say anything. But after a while he said that the teacher pinched him in the nose real hard and it was painful. He told me that before that he screamed.
    When I called at the school later on, the teacher said that she helped him to clean his nose (he had a runny nose), maybe she just did it too hard.
    But when I asked my son again, he said that the teacher didn't use tissue but used hand to pinch his nose.

Last year, in September, he got home with a bruise on his leg. He told me that a teacher with glasses (another teacher) got angry and kicked/spanked him (not clear) because he stepped on her skirt.

So I don't know what to make out from these stories. Was he right, or did he just make them up?
    I can't ask him in detail as he doesn't understand the question "why" yet.

huchlee is offline Registered User
    Try Autism Parents Network for all the resources available.
    http://www.autismpnhk.org/mainsite/index.php

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Lynn, I think you really need to get to the bottom of this quickly. I haven't come across many three year olds that make things up. .

Bizeemama is offline Registered User
    Give Rachael at www.smiletherapy.net a call
    If you go to specific places that deal with autistic children, they will ALWAYS go looking for autism or add or adhd or whatever they specialize in. It is important to look at the big picture - diet, motor skills & the list goes on. Incidentally - children not making eye contact is NOT necesarily an indication of autism, it could be a. cultural or b. a sign of hypervisualization which is spectrum disorder and not autism or c. hypervisualization as part of an autistic predisposition.
    Unfortunately there are many teachers handing out the term of autism and add et al. all too frequently these days. This does nothing but frighten parents and cause big issues with the parent child relationship.
    Your son sounds bright, and certainly he may be hypervisual (I bet he loves books and will probably be an early reader).
    Is the teacher really engaging your son in class or is he bored?
    There are just so many things to look at. Leave no stone unturned and do not let your son be labelled until you have compelling evidence from a reputable and knowlegable person trained in the early years.
    Sadly, while all these children are being picked up in classrooms and labelled, the ones with the real issues are often going un noticed!

Thanks all.

I went to his school today and talked to the director and she let me observed him in the class and we'll do it again tomorrow.
    I hope to talk to the Inggris teacher tomorrow, too.

Yes, he loves books and we read to him since he was a baby. He likes to play with playdoh and can sit for a long time.
    He can watch TV but can't watch it for a long time, he'll get bored.

I just wonder if he doesn't like to sit down in the class bc he has nothing to do. He can sit for a long time if he's doing something but I think he's bored if he only sits and listens for a long time.
    The director promised me that she'd try to talk to the class teacher to make the sitting down minimum.

I can see what labelling can do for children that's why I'll fight for him.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast