Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Cost of Matilda & Private Ob/gyn

aussiegal is offline Registered User

I just had an elective c-section (booked one day in advance because the baby decided to change position at the last minute) at the Matilda, stayed 5 days in a private room and all up the cost was $94,000 so substantially less than some others are getting charged. I was under the care of Dr Dawkins and think he is great. The whole experience was fantastic, especially the level of care you get from everyone in the hospital. I never thought I'd be able to breastfeed but after a small hiccup post hospital stay I'm doing it and i credit it to the staff there. Call on them as much as you need.

spockey is offline Registered User

Aussiegal...
    Is that the total cost of the entire pregnancy?

No sorry, that was the delivery and hospital stay only. I was only here for the last few months of my pregnancy so i only spent another 3000 on doctors visits. It was also my second pregnancy and everything went well so all up i probably only saw an obstetrician (in Sydney and here) 6 times from beginning to end! Dawkins is very relaxed so even at the end I was only going in every two to three weeks.

This was a much cheaper pregnancy than the first and a much better experience too.

Aussiegal... Just one more question.
    Who did you see in Sydney? I just would like a comparison of experience... I had Dr. Gil Burton from North Shore Private. And he was superb. We are planning to have our second one in Hong Kong and would like to know if Dr. Dawkins compares well to the Obgyn in Oz.

I saw Dr Alan Kaye at Prince of Wales Private. Kaye and Dawkins are very similar in approach. Very pro vaginal birth, very relaxed. As a hospital however the Prince of Wales can't compare with the Matilda where the staff are actually caring and have a predictable roster so you see the same people over a few days. In POW it was like a never ending assortment of backpackers coming through and it's supposed to be right behind North Shore as far as the hospitals go! I ended up having to go back to the Matilda a couple of nights ago to get treated for mastitis and I got a bit teary. I wished I could check back in...

Thanks Aussiegal! You've made me a little more certain about having a bub here in HK. North Shore Private was like checking into a hotel. So... I guess, I'd get a similar treatment at the Matilda.

Yep, it's just like a hotel only the food is better than most hotels in room dining menus... Enjoy it!

How many months to go?

Hahaha! All nine? We are currently finalising our research before deciding to have a second one here or not. I guess after what you've said we will definitely be having one here in HK.... i don't really have any real reason not to.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast