Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Cost of Matilda & Private Ob/gyn

JANE892 is offline Registered User

Cost of Matilda & Private Ob/gyn

Ohh dear.
    I've just been reading these borads and have seen on one of the threads that it costs something like 100-175k to have a baby here with a private ob/gyn and going to Matilda.
    I'm booked in at the Matilda and I have my first Ob/gyn appointment with Dr Phillip Ho (central) on Sat.
    My husbands company covers us medically but I think only up to a certain amount (I think it was 18k for birth, 12k for consultation) and thats about it...
    Am I really up for that much? I looked at the Matilda website and it said normal delivery and staying in a standard room is $18k and $4.5 for an epidural.
    I take it Dr Phillip HO is not cheap...but surely the whole total can't be $100k?
    Your information is very much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jane

mandychan is offline Registered User

my friend delivered in Matilda about 3 years ago. She said it was around 100K indeed.

woodk6 is offline Registered User

You'd better ask and see if your Dr booked you into a private room or standard room - most Drs assume you want a private room. There are more private rooms at the Matilda than any other room I'm told so the odds of you getting one are better than any other room type. The standard room you'll share with 4 other people. I will be in a private room and it will exceed $100k by far (including the ob/gyn costs) though I'm not sure exactly what the grand total will be. I think you'll find that all private hospitals on the island are about the same price give or take a little bit.

rani is offline Administrator

Jane,

Have a read through this thread. It has a cost breakdown

http://www.geobaby.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104153

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User

Hi,

Semi private room, emergency c-section was just over $100,000 for me.

The room packages sound reasonable enough- but you have to add onto that however much your ob charges for delivery plus however much they charge to come visit you everyday you are in hospital (my Dr charges $1000 a day); plus pedietricians standby fee and their fee to visit baby everyday in hospital; plus anaethetist (if needed for epidural etc.).

It soon adds up!

JANE892 is offline Registered User

Wow...my husband is going to freak out. I had no idea it was this much! I think we should have stayed in Australia. Ouch.
    I'm going to really read up on our insurance tonight...I hope that perhaps the pediatrician can be covered in another part of the insurance cover.
    I really wanted to just go into a standard room to keep costs down (I take it you still actually deliver in a private delivery room and then go into a standard room with 4 people to recover and sleep for 3 days afterwards?) but if going into a private room means I've got a better chance of getting a room then I should probably do this...although I've got a booking- so doesn't that confirm it?
    Gosh...this is scary & difficult!

joannek is offline Registered User

i had a ob gyn by my choice, with epidural (in-house), no pediatrician to stand by, in private rm, bill was HK$120,000. that hasn't include the monthly check-up with your obgyn (checkup + 4D ultrsound + tests for 10 mths = about $20K). i had 2 insurance packages whcih covered HK$40k, still ouch!

meimei is offline Registered User

yes, I was also delivered by Dr. Phillip Ho at the Matilda. It was about $130,000 in total and Dr. Ho is not cheap(even for regular check-ups and all the tests). But there's a difference between natural delivery and C-section. Probably a $20,000 to 30,000 difference?

Quote Originally Posted by JANE892 View Post
    Ohh dear.
    I've just been reading these borads and have seen on one of the threads that it costs something like 100-175k to have a baby here with a private ob/gyn and going to Matilda.
    I'm booked in at the Matilda and I have my first Ob/gyn appointment with Dr Phillip Ho (central) on Sat.
    My husbands company covers us medically but I think only up to a certain amount (I think it was 18k for birth, 12k for consultation) and thats about it...
    Am I really up for that much? I looked at the Matilda website and it said normal delivery and staying in a standard room is $18k and $4.5 for an epidural.
    I take it Dr Phillip HO is not cheap...but surely the whole total can't be $100k?
    Your information is very much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jane

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast