Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

formula and poopoo

kellyst is offline Registered User

formula and poopoo

my 1.5 y.o. daughter has been having on and off poopoo problems. she poopoo about every other day now, but most of the time it's big and on the dry side and very difficult to get out, there is blood most of the time when i wipe her clean from the poopoo being too dry or too hard. she is becoming scared of going poopoo now.

we've had the same problems before but it got better when we started feeding her much more water, prune juice, soups that helps with poopoo. despite of all the liquids she drinks, it got worse again the past 2 weeks. in addition to all the liquids, she still drinks a lot of formula now, about 35oz per day, i'm thinking if the formula (NanHa2)is causing the difficulty now. so i've started to let her try to replace some of her formula with my own Dairy Farm's milk to see if that would improve the situation.

any comments on how formula affects poopoo? also, have heard cod liver oil works too, any other ideas?

Arwen is offline Registered User
    My 21 month girl has no problem pooing and she is on this supposedly "heaty' formula.. Progress Gold.
    I make sure my girl gets her fruits (either 1/2 an apple, a whole kiwi, a slice of papaya etc) after her nap.
    After dinner, she will have half a bottle of vitagen or a small bottle of baby yogurt.
    And since you mention cod liver oil, Nic is also being fed this after her lunch although I didn't know that it can help with the poo.

Hope everything will turn out fine!

AndreaY is offline Registered User
    35oz sounds like a lot of milk for 1.5 year old. She takes reasonable amount of solids (ie with enough veg or fruit) at mealtimes?

joannek is offline Registered User
    so she drinks 5 x 7oz of milk? that's a lot. i thought they're only suppose to drink max 3 x 7oz?

kellyst is offline Registered User
    yeah.. i'm getting a bit confused. should we cut down then? i described it to her ped. and she didn't think it was a problem. when i suggested changing formula, she even mentioned that i need to make sure that her intake does not go down if i switched.. hmm
    it goes like 9oz + 5oz + 8oz + 9oz. Plus even 1-2oz more before she goes to bed.

BUT she also eats lots of solids, full bowls of rice.. lots of other liquids water, prune juice, lots and lots of chinese soups. i think we are a bit low on fruits tho.. need to work on that...

do you think there is a 'max' amt of milk that a toddler should be taking in?

my helper (and i'm as guilty) is so anxious to help her put on more weight that she has no problem feeding her lots of milk, since the baby likes it a lot too...

joannek is offline Registered User
    i just read in Parents Magazine that a 1 yr old max amt of milk is 20oz/day.... (oops!)

you're lucky that she still eats so much when she's drinking so much milk. sounds like you're feeding her adult portions of food. i wonder how much she weighs.....

so is she eating constantly? .. "lots & lots of soup" sounds like A LOT. one toddler serving is the size of her palm (mind you her palm only, doesn't include the fingers). the books say one toddler meal should be 1/2 a slice of whole wheat bread (those square breads that come in a loaf), 2 pcs of brocolli & a handful (her handful, not yours) of protein. that's it.

fyi, this is what my girl eat when she between 1-2 yo one -
    breakfast, 1 toddler size bowl of oatmeal (so 1/3 to 1/2 pack for adult)w/ 1/2 banana & 1/2 cup of soy milk
    lunch, 1 toddler size rice, 1 ice-cube size chopped green veg, ~ 10 pcs chopped corn, her palm size minced pork.
    dinner, same as lunch
    sometimes, she snacks mid-morning (10am) & mid-afternoon (3pm) toddler cookies/cheerios/ 8-10 pcs of grapes/5pcs strawberry/ 1/2 pear etc

and her ped said she was eating too much!!

she only takes milk when when she naps (3oz), bedtime (7oz), and midnight (5oz). for her, when she's taken milk during the day, she wouldn't eat for the next 3 hrs, so i think she's still full.

i suggest you teach your child to learn to tell you that she's full. it's a important concept to teach our kids, so that when they grow up, they know that they should stop eating when feel full. our generation were brought up to eat as much as we can & we tend to overeat most of the time, cos in the old days, our moms told us that it's "mo yee sig" to leave food. cos when they grew up, they had to go hungry or food didn't come by easily. time has changed & so should the way we teach our children....

i'm sorry this has started to sound like a lecture, but i'm a bit concerned about your child eating so much.

capital is offline Banned
    a 1 year old should drink 16-24 oz milk/day. If the formula you use is iron fortified this might be what is causing the problem. Iron can be constipating. I'd try decreasing the forlua intake and replacing it with cows milk, unless you have other reasons to avoid cows milk.

I wouldn't worry about trying to make her gain wieght, assuming she is healthy. A healthy child knows when to eat and when to not eat. It is when adults mess around with either trying to make our kids eat more/less that gets people into the habit of eating too much/too little. So many adults eat past the natural point of being full because as kids we are told you can't leave the table until your done, etc so we think feeling stuffed is full when really it is too full.

Babar is offline Registered User
    Kellyst

My daughter who is now 2, also has a silmilar problem. Doctor advised me to cut down on milk as this causes constipation. If she is eating yogurt and cheese, these also contain milk and therefore, should cut down on milk. Believe it not, apples and bananas are also bad for constipation, so avoid these too. Doctor recommended a high fibre diet with foods like: oatmeal, oatbran, weetabix, barley, brown bread, raspberries, blueberries, oranges, papaya, kiwi and lots of water. Chinese doctor recommends eating food that are not fried or toasted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast