Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory


What happens to child in HK if both parents die ?

  1. #1
    Vix is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Mid Levels

    What happens to child in HK if both parents die ?

    Hi all,

    This is a bit of a morbid topic - sorry !

    I am moving to HK from the UK in July with a newborn, to join my husband (also British). One of his friends mentioned that if both expat parents die in HK, the child will be taken into care and the Grandparents (or other family members) will have no legal right to adopt the child.

    Does anyone know if this is the case ? I assume that if you make a will that is legally binding in HK, giving details of who you want to raise the child, there won't be a problem ? Can anyone recommend a lawyer in HK ?

    Many thanks,


  2. #2
    rani's Avatar
    rani is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Pokfulam, Hong Kong


    Have a read through this thread

    Legal Guardianship

    Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Similar Threads

  1. Parents of one child in NT
    By Mai in forum Playgroups
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-05-2010, 06:57 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-16-2008, 09:19 PM
  3. Need ESF's parents help, please!!
    By theo in forum Education
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-14-2008, 01:22 AM
  4. Any ICS parents here?
    By Gabesmom in forum Education
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-12-2008, 01:16 PM
  5. Parents giving up adopted child
    By sunniefaith in forum Everything Else
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 12-19-2007, 07:07 PM

Tags for this Thread

Scroll to top