Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Baby Bjorn vs Maxi-Cosi in taxis

greatimp is offline Registered User

Baby Bjorn vs Maxi-Cosi in taxis

I am having my first baby in June and am trying to decide on the best and most convenient item for transporting a baby in a taxi, boat or the MTR.

While my new mum friends are absolutely adamant that a maxi-cosi cradle is essential for safety, the actual experienced ones say that a baby bjorn is fine for travelling in a taxi, with the seat belt looped between the parent and the baby.

All comments and feedback are most appreciated!

mum of 2 is offline Registered User
    Your new Mum friends are right. Any road safety expert will tell you that in a crach, your weight is increased by such a multiple that you will be squash the baby with the force of a baby elephant. Of course, we all hope that we are never in a crash, especially with a young child, but if you are, the baby has the best chance in a car seat.

AndreaY is offline Registered User
    Yes, for safety reasons, the cradle seat of course is safer. But the baby bjorn is so much more convenient. Not much help for decision making, I know, saftey vs. convenience. All I can say is that I have carried my daughter in baby bjorn since a month old and she is now 13 months. Touch wood, we have not encountered any accidents.

greatimp is offline Registered User
    Thanks mum of 2 and Andrea. Did any of you get the car seat that fits on top of the pram? A more expensive option and is it really necessary?

mum of 2 is offline Registered User
    I've got the Bugaboo, into which the car seat sits which works well for a few months, then it converts into a normal buggy. To be honest, I use my Maclaren more day to day now though.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Hi- I have to go with the maxi cosi! Just our personal choice but we made the decision before our son was born to use the maxi cosi in taxis....I, personally, couldn't take the risk of having an accident and knowing that if he had just been in a car seat....

We have the bugaboo, which the maxi cosi snaps onto. Have had no probs getting it in and out of taxi, even when by myself- despite the hordes of impatient and often downright rude taxi drivers in HK- have had the occasional nice one that has helped....but rare and not necessary anyway!

However our son is fast out growing the maxi cosi and have no idea what we are going to do when he is too big for it....you have to do what you feel comfortable with. I'm not comfortable travelling with our son in a taxi without a car seat.