Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Help!!! Not enough breastmilk for baby???

cyberyoda is offline Registered User

Wow, the way you talk sounds like Mrs Chee herself. You even know she earns a lot?? Amazing!! :)

Another friend said that professional lactation consultant at Matilda only costs $300 per session. I amy go seek for thrid party opinion on this too. Any other comment from Mums are appreciated, if you know any professional lactation consultant who is more economical OR if you know anything about clearing block duct. Thanks.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

I’m not sure if your question is about plugged ducts or a milk bleb as both have been mentioned in this thread.

Plugged Ducts

It is not uncommon for plugged ducts to return. It really depends on the reason that the duct became plugged in the first place and whether those conditions repeat themselves.

The standard treatment for plugged ducts is:
    Nurse frequently, rest and apply heat to the tender area.

See My Breasts Hurts. What Can I Do?
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/mastitis.html

I’ve found it very helpful to change nursing positions as well. Especially if you can get the baby’s chin at the lump or to lay the baby flat on her back and dangle your breast into the baby’s mouth (not an easy position but one you usually only need for a few minutes at a time). Only the most severe cases need to be massaged.

It is not necessary – or even possible – to completely drain the breasts BUT you should try to keep them as empty as possible. Remember that the baby feeding directly is usually the most efficient way to get milk from the baby – generally direct feeding is better than pumping or hand expressing.

Milk Blebs

It is quite common for a milk bleb to return. Often the problem is because an extra bit of skin is covering the outlet of one of the ducts. This causes a white blaster full of milk to form.

The standard treatment is apply wet heat either with a warm compress or by soaking the nipple in warm water and then feed as much as possible. If this doesn’t help then asking a health professional, usually a nurse, to pick it can help.

I would advise using lansinoh cream to try to reduce the scar build up. As too much scar tissue can be the cause of milk blebs!

You might also look into why you are getting either the blebs or the plugged ducts. Do you have too much milk and so leaving your breasts too full? Is your baby too erratic with his feeds – sometimes leaving you too full?

You might also look at your diet. Often a diet high in saturated fats causes lots of plugged ducts and blebs. You might like to consider taking a lecithin supplement. (The usual initial dose is one tablespoon three to four times a day or one to two 1,200 mg capsules three to four times a day.) I'd known some mothers who needed to take small does of lecithin throughout their breastfeeding days.

Other things that might be a factor are:

• Fatigue and stress
    • Nipple damage
    • Lowered resistance to infections or anaemia
    • Overabundant milk supply
    • Use of a nipple shield
    • Baby who breastfeeds reluctantly or refuses the breast periodically
    • Constrictive clothing
    • Breast abnormalities
    • Too much salt intake
    • Exposure to allergens
    • Excessive upper-arm exercise

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    Last edited by LLL_Sarah; 04-08-2007 at 12:29 AM.

joannek is offline Registered User

Unhappy

in case u're wondering, i tried everything that Sarah mentioned before i called Mrs Chee, cos i had a LLL leader helping me already, but nothing helped. i suffered for 2 mths with plugged ducts, yeast infection, mastitis, abcess, you-named-it & baby had diaper rash, ezcema, sinus problems all that time i was nursing her. (plus, EVERYONE around me told me not to bf anymore cos they see all that trouble i was going thru. i was only getting support from my hubby, mrs chee & my LLL leader to continue bfing my baby) so yes, i've been thru a lot, and i thank mrs chee for helping me solved all my problems by teaching me how to change my diet & hand-expressing (plus all those things i posted on geobaby trying to help other breastfeeding moms), and bringing an avent bottle wherever & whenever i had to go away from my baby for more than 2 hours. and finally at 6mths my problems were solved & i was happily nursing my daughter. even so, i still spent 1 hour clearing both my breasts & checking them EVERY night before i went to bed, so i made sure there was nothing blocked & no pain anywhere until baby was 12 mths. my daughter finally self-weaned at 15mths.

my baby was underfed at 1 mth (40%tile in weight, but when she was born her weight was 55%tile), and thanks to mrs chee, at 3 mths she was at 90% of weight, exclusively breastfed. i still update mrs chee with the photos of my now 2 year old girl cos i want her to know she does good things.

i know she makes a lot of money cos 2 yrs ago she charged me $650/visit. (& i know she charges $720 now, cos i yet have to pay her my SIL visits) and she is ALWAYS full. she told me her earliest appmt is 10am & i know she makes home visit until late, imagine all that time she was at my home helping me out, chatting along, she had to tell me a lot about herself. i spent tons of money asking her to come 3 times/wk for the 1st few weeks clearing my breasts, thereafter once to twice a week until my breasts were cleared. i could've used that money to buy formula for my baby but i chose to breastfeed, despite all that pain & agony & tired fingers. cos i didn't want to have problems with my breasts when i become old, and i want my child to have a good start (both my husband & I threw up a lot when we were infants cos we were fed formula, and we were very skinny & weak & always sick).

i spent all this effort typing away here at geobaby trying to help breastfeeding moms out cos i know how tough it is to be breastfeeding in hk, with so little support.

and btw, i don't know any other more economical LC, cos the other one (the useless one) is even more expensive. i also gave birth at Matilda. 2 yrs ago, they only had mrs chee & yvonne heavyside, but if my memory serves me right, at that time yvonne wasn't an LC. so mrs chee was my only bet.

cyberyoda is offline Registered User

Thanks Joannek for your sharing. May be my experience with Mrs Chee is different. When I first called her, she said she charges $630 per session and she was full until the week after. The next day I called her to ask what I can do before she has time to meet with me. She asked me to go to her office the same day. She said she cancelled 2 appointments to fit me in. I was surprisingly happy although I dont know why she suddenly cancel other appointments. She told me if I go to her office, she will only charge $500. While I was at her office, she keep on saying she has to go after 1 hour for another appointment but then she ended up spending more than 1.5 hours with me without going or calling anyone to postpone appointment. 2 days after I met with her, I called and asked her should I buy an Avent hand pump. She just said it is no use to buy one if you dont know how to use it. Her answer shocked me as I was expecting her to say more positive thing like giving advice how to use it better if she thinks such pump is helpful.

Anyways, I am also very determined to breast feed my baby. I only have one blocked duct and it seems comes and goes. I was pain 2 days ago and the blocked duct comes back. As I pump frequently, the block duct seems goes away these 2 days and my breast is not pain anymore. I will observe it for a few more days before calling for a LC for advice. btw, do you stop eating dessert and other food mentioned to stop the yeast infection the whole time you are breastfeeding?? I miss dessert very much but I have not eaten any in the past 2 weeks due to my yeast infection. I am wondering when I can enjoy dessert and other things again.

joannek is offline Registered User

yes, i stopped all desserts until after 1 mth the yeast infection cleared up & no bread either... everything i mentioned that will affect yeast infection, i refrain from. my friend who had yeast infection stopped eating dessert & the yeast went away. one day she went out to dinner with her MIL, her MIL said "hey, a little dessert won't hurt! i don't know why you're going thru all this trouble breastfeeding your kid?! they were all fed formula, & they're fine!!", so my friend had a little dessert & guess what, the next day her yeast infection came back!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234