Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Help!!! Not enough breastmilk for baby???

cyberyoda is offline Registered User

Help!!! Not enough breastmilk for baby???

It has been a week after I delivered my baby boy and I am worry that he does not get enough milk as his weight drops by 4.9% until yesterday. He has enough wet diaper and pop pop only when I supplement him with formula by CUP FEED. I am wondering if I am not that successful in the first week, will my milk continue to drop?? Is that true that if breast feed not that successful in teh first week will likely leads to failure in breatfeeding soon??

I delivered by C-section and stayed in the hospital for 3 nights. Except the first day I cannot get out of bed and they dont allow me to room-in baby, I have been trying very best to breast feed. The days in teh hospital I dont not much choice as they put baby in a 4 hour feeding schedule. I can only go in the baby room to breast feed based on the hospital schedule. The rest of the time, the nurse CUP FEED my baby. In fact, I dont have much milk on the first 3 days.

Starting 4th days, I went back home. I was breasfeeding him 8-10 times every day. A lot of time up to 25-30 mins for each breast. But my baby is extremenly sleepy and fall asleep very quick when feeding starts so probably he only get breast feed for 15-10 mins each breast. As he continue to cry after each feed and open his mouth like he wants more milk, I am afraid I dont have enough milk (I pumped 2-3times in teh morning for 10 mins each breast on separate days but can only get 0.5oz in total. I use Medela single pump), so I supplement baby with formula by CUP FEED. I pumped several times in teh past week but not in a regular schedule. Every time, no matter I pump right after feedor before feed, I only get 0.5oz in total after pumping for 10 mins each breast.

Now that I want to try pumping after EVERY FEED for 25 mins every breast, will that help my milk supply even it is already over one week?? Some people say the 1st week is the most important but I am not that successful yet, will I be successful if I continue to try??

Should I continue to supplement formula by CUP FEED?? A lot of time if I dont do so, baby keep crying even after breast feeding for over an hour. Also, there is not enough urine and pop pop. Doctor also concerned that baby weight is not enough. He was born at 36 weeks 6 days and was weighted 6 lbs 11oz. Now he already drops 4.9% and have not regain any weight yet. Doctor asked me to go back to check his weight on his 10th day birth. I would like to measure his weight every day on my own but I dont have any necessary instructment at home. Anybody has any idea how we can measure baby weight by ourselves before going back to the doctor??

Also, when I supplement formula, every time, baby takes 1oz - 1.5 oz. How many oz of milk in total should a 7 day baby take each time??

Sometimes when he eat enough, he sleep 3-4 hours without waking up. Should I wake him up every 2 hours for feeding no matter what??

Thanks for any advice in advance.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    This issue is really too complicated to solve on a forum like this. It would really help for you to have a professional lactation consultant or La Leche League Leader observe you while you are breastfeeding. They will be able to see if your baby is feeding efficiently or not.

Can you see the whole of the baby’s bottom jaw moving while he is feeding?
    Does he fall asleep after 5 minutes or can he continue to drink for 20 minutes or more?
    Are your nipples sore?
    Do you feel relief after your baby has fed? Are your breasts softer after the feed?

Generally a baby loses between 5% and 10% of their birth weight in the first few days of life. And they usually take at least two weeks to regain it. This is the reason that we always calculate grain gain from the lowest weight and not the birth weight.

Please read through the article on the LLL-HK web site, www.lllhk.org called
    How to know your Health Full-term Breastfed Baby is Getting Enough Milk
    http://www.lllhk.org/566-27HK-Chinese.pdf

Is your baby having six wet nappies a day (in 24 hours)?
    Is your baby having two dirty nappies?
    Is your baby feeding between 10 and 14 times a day?

Remember that it is very common for a baby to want more milk after it has feed (even just 10 minutes after) this doesn’t mean you don’t have enough milk it means the baby wants to eat in courses with breaks in between.

How much formula have you given in the last 24 hours? If it is only a small amount you could just stop it but if it is more you would probably find it better to talk to someone who has experience of helping mothers reduce formula supplements and return to full breastfeeding.

There are a number of professional LCs who can help.

The Matlida has a Breastfeeding Clinic on Monday Afternoons, ring 2849 1500 for an appointment

Yvonne Heavyside - 2530 1905, 9887 3235

Mrs Chee – 2705 9322

Annerley Midwives – 2983-1558

Or a LLL Leader

MAGGIE 2817-7475
    ROCHELLE 2947-7147
    MARGARITA 2257-6757
    SARAH 2548-7636
    余婉玲 9048-1701

Best wishes,
    SARAH

Please also read the thread,
    Not enough milk - Top up bottles
    Not enough milk - Top up bottles

On this thread I’ve explained two behaviours which are very common are what I call the Chocolate Cake Syndrome and the Chinese Banquet Syndrome.

There is another thread called
    Breastfeeding in hospital
    Breastfeeding in hospital

Where I’ve given details of videos you can watch on the internet and two techniques that you may find helpful, Breast Compression and Switch Nursing.

Since writing that post I’ve discovered a link which will let you download the NHS pamphlet (in lot of languages!)
    http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publications...nce/DH_4084370

Best wishes,
    SARAH

I already have lataction consultant coached me for breast feeding. She thinks baby lach on well. In fact, baby always open wide his mouth and his jaw move while I feed him. But he falls asleep quick. I tried to massage and supress my breast while breastfeeding. This increase milk flow to baby mouth. When baby fall asleep, I also tried to wake baby by moving his hands, massaging his back, put cold towel on his forehead...etc. When he stop swallowing and I fail to wake him, I just put him back to bed but he wil cry in 5 minutes. His head and face looking for nipple to suck again. I then feed him more for 5 or 10 mins and then he fall asleep again. If he can continue sucking (I can feel it), I will continue to feed him as long as possible.

I dont have sour nipple. My breast feel relief after feeding BUT not very significant because I never have any serious engorging at all. Just a bit hard. After feeding, a little bit softer.

Up to now, baby has enough wet diaper and popo pop as I keep on supplement formula. I tried NOT supplement for over 6 hours one day, but he does not have any popo pop and only a little urine that few hours so I started supplement him again.

I read some book mentioned that I can pump to estimate the amount of milk I produce every day. I pumped each breast twice for 25 mins in total when I wake up in the morning. I then pump again after 2 hours. For the 2nd time pumping, I only got 0.75oz for both breasts. It means 0.75 x 12 = I only produce 9 oz per day. This is too scary.

Is the above calculation and pumping to estimate milk supply is correct?? Any suggestion is appreciated. Thanks a lot

Your estimate of how much milk you produce is flawed. You are not just pumping your milk but breastfeeding your baby as well.

Remember that pumping is not the same as breastfeeding. The amount of milk you get from pumping is not the amount you have – it is only the amount you managed to get out by pumping. Your baby will get a lot more milk when breastfeeding directly from you than you can pump out.

Being able to express 20 mls is already very good. If you need more simply express on more occasions and add the milk together. In this respect expressing is like breastfeeding - the more you do it with more milk you will get. Thus if you express six times for 10 minutes you’ll get more milk than it you express once for an hour.

If you are really worried about the amount of milk you have try expressing after every feed for about ten minutes, or for two minutes after the milk stops. Don’t worry if your baby wakes up and asks to fed when you’ve just pumped simply put the baby to the breast, he will be able to get more milk because there is always more milk and this is the quickest way to tell your body to make more.

When you breastfeed directly three things are working together to help the milk leave your body and enter the baby’s body.
    • Your hormone levels are raised, especially oxytocin. Oxytocin helps the milk ejection reflex – this is the reflex that squeezes the milk out of the aveoli, the milk producing cells, and pushes it into the ducts which take the milk to your nipple. When you pump or hand express the levels of oxytocin are much lower.
    • The baby uses suction to help the milk come out – the pump tries to duplicate this but hand expression doesn’t.
    • The baby’s mouth milks the breast with its tongue and jaw movements. Hand expression tries to duplicate this but the pump doesn’t.

On top of this many mothers have difficulty getting the let-down to work well when pumping. It works with no trouble when the baby is breastfeeding directly but doesn't seem to work at all when using the pump.

Many things that don’t matter when breastfeeding directly can affect the quantity when pumping. For example, how tried you feel and how much stress you are under.

You can also encourage the let-down reflex artificially, by looking at your baby, or by having a piece of his clothing next to you.
    • Apply a warm wet cloth to your breasts.
    • Massage the breasts in small circular motions around the perimeter of the breast.
    • Gently stroke your breasts with your fingernails in a downward motion toward the nipple
    • Lean forward and gently shake the breasts.
    • Gently roll the nipple between your finger and thumb.

It may help to try a hand expression technique called the Marmet Technique, http://www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html
    This is useful because it helps the let-down and so you get more milk.
    (Please note that the diagram of the breast anatomy is out of date. Recent research has discovered that the milk reservoirs under the areola (the dark coloured part of the breast near the nipple) do not exist. The method, however, still works.)

Some mothers have found that the pumps are not good at getting the let-down to happen, especially in the first couple of weeks, and so they use hand expression until the let-down and then swap to pumping. You can also use the times at the end of the Marmet Technique, including the massage, stroke and shake but instead of doing the hand expression use the pump.

Remember that your breasts being empty isn’t a problem as this is a signal to your body to make more milk. It is leaving your breasts full of milk that tells your body to stop making the milk.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

If you can send me your e-mail address I'll send you a pamphlet called Increase Your Milk. (My address is [email protected])
    I like this pamphlet because at the beginning it explains how the breast makes milk and then goes on to discuss false alarms, reasons mothers worry about not having enough milk. Then it talks about real problems and finally how to help the situation.

As you current LC is happy with the latch and you can see your baby's jaw moving it sounds like he is feeding correctly. (Remember we ask how many wet nappies over 24 hours not 6 hours)

How much formula are you giving in 24 hours?
    It is important to reduce the formula you give if you want to fully breastfeed.
    I usually suggest putting the formula on a schedule. This way you know exactly what you are doing with it. Also it stops the temptation to feed formula after each breastfeed, which is the quickest way to having a fully formula fed baby.

Kellymom.com has information about weaning from supplements to the breast and a useful form to fill in which helps you know exactly where you are and what the next stage is.

Weaning from Supplements Instructions
    http://www.kellymom.com/store/handou...upplements.pdf

Weaning from Supplements Log

http://www.kellymom.com/store/freeha...log-sample.pdf

SARAH

joannek is offline Registered User
    i had a lot of blocked ducts in the beginning & baby wasn't gaining weight well although i had a lactation consultant helping me (i later found out that she was tortally useless, so i'm gonna pm you her name). then i found mrs chee, who helped me solved all my problems. if you're not already getting help from her, i suggest you give her a call.

to increas emilk supply, drink "mother's milk tea" sold at mothercare, health quest, bumps to babes. it starts working after 2 days. than drink fish soup & tons of water. i was downing 2-3 litres of water/day.

good luck! && hope eventually your problems will be solved.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast