2 4.00%
  • $400-$500

2 4.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Budget for Birthday Gifts

HKfornow is offline Registered User

Budget for Birthday Gifts

How much do you spend on birthday gifts when your child attends a birthday party by his classmate? In HK the "goody bags" seem extravagant, so just wondering if I need to up the gift giving level (I usually try to stick around the HKD $120-$160 level) . What is a good rule of thumb? Comments appreciated.
    Last edited by rani; 03-26-2007 at 11:39 AM.

joannek is offline Registered User
    it depends how close i'm to the child. if either parent is a good friend, i spend more (like $500). if it's an aquaintance, i spend $300. if it's a child from playgroup or school then 200.

mintycat is offline Registered User
    I am exactly the same as joannek. $500 for kids I am close to (relatives or close friends), around $300 for friends kids and $200 for kids from playgroups and school.

HKfornow is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the replies ladies. . . I feel so embarassed that I've been undergifting those kids!! I've been accused of going over the top before, so I've strived to keep things on a budget here but did not realized that I was ripping off those kids!! oops!

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    I'm a big believer in "it's the thought that counts" and also that most parents don't have much space.

So, if I don't know the kids very well - I'll usually give a good kids book that I liked or my kids like.

If I know them well, then I'll try to get something that I know they like - e.g. one child loves Bionicles - so I'll get him a nice Bionicle. Another child is really into Playmobil, so I'll call his or her mama and find out which Playmobil he or she wants.

Now that my kids are older, I try to involve them in the gifting - they know better than me what the kids want. I rarely spend over HK$ 200 on a gift for a child's birthday party.

katyw is offline Registered User
    HKfornow, you're not ripping off those children as it's the thought that counts. I spend about $200 sometimes more, sometimes less, it depends on the age of the child. I personally think that $500 is quite alot. That's how much I spend on my own for Birthdays.

joannek is offline Registered User
    i also agree that it's the thought that counts. but if one ahs to ask about ho much, then i'd say it also depends on how much one can afford. everything is relative. one won't spend as much on bday present for a child as themselves. i once had a friend (from school), who's father is a gazillionnaire, who gave my friend cartier watches for her bday (she was only 16). so if i had a bday party, i probably would have gotten sth like a fur coat from him for my bday (LOL!!).

geiboyi is offline Registered User
    I think that $500 is a huge amount for a birthday present for a child. I'm not sure what age group we are talking about, but I don't spend that much on my own child for his birthday (he's 2 now). I can't imagine that most children are happier with a $500 present than a $100 one, or less. If you are trying to impress the parents then fine, but the children probably won't care less (and if you're trying to impress the parents/keep up with the Joneses/Wongs, then do everyone a favour and give them a lai see pkt, that way everyone knows the cash value of a birthday party).
    (I understand of course that certain birthdays are more important than others, so new babies/16/18-yr olds might get more...)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast