Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

international primary schools

KMM
    KMM is offline Registered User

international primary schools

hi everybody, we live in Hong Kong Island and it seems to be very difficult to get good information about primary schools. I know that it's all a question about if you can or cannot get a place but just imagine that wouldn't be a problem.
    I wish for my daughter a good school, so she won't be behind if we move back to Europe but I also want her to have a nice school. (no parrot learning eg)
    would you prefer:
    a) kellet school
    b) Hong Kong academy
    c) GSIS (international)
    d) ESF
    e) other
    how about GSIS (german) anybody know more about there language problems - how is the standard of german? Somebody told me it's terrible.
    KMM

mintycat is offline Registered User

Kellet School falls under ESF I think. I don't know about the Hong Kong Academy.

I myself attended HKIS and loved it a lot. I took Mandarin as a second language but you can also choose French or Spanish (maybe they have more options now, it's been years since I've graduated). However, HKIS follows the American curriculum. If you are from Europe, you can also consider French International School on Wong Nei Chung Gap Road. A few of my friends attended GSIS and liked it, I am not sure about the standard of their German language education though.

mailmail is offline Registered User

No Mintycat, Kellett School is not part of ESF, neither is HK Academy.

HappyV is offline Registered User

I've taught at 4 or 5 of those options - they are all so different!

They have different class sizes, different curriculums (tied to different National Standards - UK, Germany, USA......)

You really need to visit them all.

As for the standard of German at GSIS - they all seem to do pretty well in the GCSE/A level exams. Their german is probably no worse that the standard of English at some 'Chinese' HK schools.....and I would think it is way better.

They ll have websites - do some research, and makes lists of pros and cons. Also there is a huge variation in fees. The range between ESF primary and Kellett is HUGE - not to mention the Kellett debenture.

It also depends where you live - it's all very well to admire Kellett, but if you live in Kowloon, it's a LONG if you live in Tin Hau. Same for GSIS if you live any further than Mid Levels.

Look at the standards of staff - where have they been trained? What is their experience?

One benefit of ESF primary is that your child will probably get a place at an ESF secondary - children from HK Academy/Kellett do not have this advantage (although I think both have plans to go secondary soon.........a lot of $$ though, I'm sure!)

HKside is offline Registered User

HappyV,

as mentioned you've taught in a few IS schools, I presume you may have some further info about HK Academy. I do wish your help in giving me some further advise as to their general teaching quality, students qualities/abilities etc. I went for a visit once but indeed I couldn't see much. I know the fee is pretty high and the school envir. is not too pleasing. As they said, they will be moving to a new location soon, in 2-3 yrs time and may have their secondary years too. IB program, however, is what interests me. See if you can help.

joannek is offline Registered User

excuse me, but what's Hk Academy? Is it the same as ISF (Independent School Foundation? or it's sth else?

mailmail is offline Registered User

HK Academy is on Stubbs Road. ISF is a totally different school.

HKside is offline Registered User

Can anyone share some views on HK academy ? Probably not a very popular school in hongkong as there aren't too many publicity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast